Engine smoke/rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine smoke/rough idle

After a few hours on the forums and youtube help videos I am at a loss and in need of some help/suggestions.
I have a 2004 6.0L completely stock.
Over the past 6 months on start up the engine idles but if I tried to drive it cold it would buck and jerk like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Once the needle moved on the temp. gauge the truck ran with no issues.
Now on idle the truck has a noticeable miss to it and it smokes. It always smoked for the first 15seconds after start before but now its steady. It smells like normal diesel exhaust also. I had been told that if it was coolant causing the smoking it would be a pure white and smell different and when you rev the engine it would get worse. When I rev the engine the smoke turns blue and black and it has never blown black since I have owned it.
What I have checked:
1. I connected a OBDII reader and it pulled no codes at all.
2. I removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. One of the videos said if the EGR cooler was leaking the bottom of the bore would be wet and it wasn't.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Search for Rev-X. I bet you will find your answer. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Sargar, I bought Rev X today at the local diesel shop and changed the oil and filter along with it.
Drove the truck up and down the highway at highway speeds truck runs fine but pull up to a stop sign or redlight and the smoke is blowing like crazy and there is a miss to the engine. Will drive it some more as the Rev X site says I need to heat cycle the engine a few times over a couple days so I hope it clears up.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hope the Rev-X helps. Still no codes?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check your batteries
check your FICM
if you have an injector dumping fuel, you can toast a piston pretty easy.

Need to get it diagnosed quick

MikeB
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope no codes as of yet. . .but maybe my OBDII reader isn't very good?? I am going to drive it tomorrow and if it doesn't clear up the next step I think is a stop at the Ford dealer to have them do a diagnostic to check the injectors properly.

PSDMikeB
I don't have a multimeter so I haven't checked the FICM yet. . .
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM

i also have a 04 f 350 and mine smokes blue when the truck shifts from first to second but then thats it it started today but after it shifts thats it any ideas
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just had the truck diagnosed at the dealership they said #4 injector is not working and the EGR valve needs to be replaced.

Which leads me to ask. . .how bad is changing injectors??
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanix View Post
Just had the truck diagnosed at the dealership they said #4 injector is not working and the EGR valve needs to be replaced.

Which leads me to ask. . .how bad is changing injectors??
#4 injector is on the drivers side, second one from the front. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, it is not a very hard job and you can save a bunch of money. But by reading your post, I would leave it to someone with more diesel knowledge.

The very first step with troubles on these trucks is to verify crucial parameters are met....voltage, high oil pressure, fuel delivery, etc....not just throwing rev-x in and changing the oil. What about injector #4 is "not working"? It may be something that is easily fixed with an $8 set of o-rings. You have to ask them these questions or your wallet may be in for a ride.

Good Luck~
Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer-upper View Post
#4 injector is on the drivers side, second one from the front. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, it is not a very hard job and you can save a bunch of money. But by reading your post, I would leave it to someone with more diesel knowledge.

The very first step with troubles on these trucks is to verify crucial parameters are met....voltage, high oil pressure, fuel delivery, etc....not just throwing rev-x in and changing the oil. What about injector #4 is "not working"? It may be something that is easily fixed with an $8 set of o-rings. You have to ask them these questions or your wallet may be in for a ride.

Good Luck~
Thanks for the input. I will be doing the repairs myself as I am pretty capable but I know the most about small block chevy engines, this truck is used to pull my race trailer. I watched a video on youtube from a ford mechanic and it looks pretty straight forward. Luckily it isn't my daily driver so I can put it in the garage and pull it apart and take the time to look things over. My local dealership qouted me $2100 to do the work and the diesel performance place I deal with qouted me $300 for an injector sooo the math tells me I will save huge doing the repairs myself even if it turns out to be replacing the whole injector. The o-rings you talk about are you meaning the ones on the injector itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.