Buying a High Mileags 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a High Mileags 6.0

Hi all, Im looking at diesels and have seen some Higher mileage 6.0's with between 125k to 180k

Is this just too much mileage?

If I do buy one with that kind of mieage and do the deletes and head studs/tuner will I blow the bottom end out of it?

also, is there anyone doing 6.0 excellent performance crate motors out there as I've never seen any mentioned???

Last edited by Twincam666; 12-26-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Guide lines for buying a truck

Since this is ultimately your call I will give you what I look for when buying a truck.

First will this truck fit the bill for what I want it to do for what they are asking
How old is it in yrs in relation to that mileage. A truck of 2 yrs with that mileage means it was rode hard and put up wet more than once. [When did it have time for maintenance] so a lot of wear in a short time span with sketchy maintenance. (minus).

Either way a lot revoloutions = lots of wear not only on engine but entire drive train. With that in mind I would assume it will need an overhaul soon.

That in it'self may not be bad. Figure purchase price + overhaul cost am I still cheaper than buying a newer.less mileage truck.

Thats how I look at it anyways.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
www.elitedieselengineering.com - EDELongBlock
11k plus go-gos intake manifold and a powermaxx turbo... youll be getting places quick. just need a tranny to hold it... thats the only thing i could find on a performance long block...
Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have to judge off what your looking at, in relation to what the above said, if you've got a beat up 2007 with 190k on it, it's probably someone's work truck, if you find a 2004 with 60k on it, your probably into either someone's extra vehicle only used for towing, or a truck that was broke most its life...

Mines a 05, with 72k when I bought it, perfect inside and out, lifted since 20k miles... It was someone's truck who does exactly what I do with it, drive around town.. No long haul trips, just cruising around, it had never been tuned, and the oasis report was relatively clean... So I was comfortable paying what I paid, had this exact truck had 140k on it, I still would have paid a good amount for it... Had the interior been beat up, and all dented outside, I would have just passed it up, even at 70k miles

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I argree with what the above posters have said, buying a high mileage truck in and of itself is not such a bad thing, if you know the maintenance that was done (the 6.0 is a very maintenance specific motor). What does the body and interior look like? As to blowing the bottom end out, I am currently rebuilding my 03 6.0, and looking at it, I honestly think stock bottom half could handle over 700hp, that block is built tough, the top end is where it would go, head bolts and head gaskets. Also it all depends what you want to do with the truck too, as to whether you are getting a good deal
Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Don't be scared usually the higher mileage 6.0s have the problems worked out or didn't ever have any, also a high mileage 06 or 07 would had to have a lot of highway miles which wouldn't be as bad as stop go city driving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.