Cold start issue. Need help! Lost Bully Dog when flashed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start issue. Need help! Lost Bully Dog when flashed!

Had my batteries go bad. Long story short.. New batteries, new crank and cam sensor, new FICM, new cam sensor connector plug. Cleared codes and flashed, updated. Truck only starts when plugged into block heater, otherwise won't start. No block heater, no start. Glow plugs read good. Throws no codes when hooked up to scan tool, or Laptop. Any ideas? Also had truck reflashed, didn't think about or know this and seems that my BullyDog program is lost. Any ideas or thoughts on my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Little confused here. So it started fine before you replaced all that and now it won't? Or you did all that because it wouldn't start and now it still won't start? What year truck and how many miles? What is FICM voltage at when cranking? Does KOEO test pass fine? During injector buzz test do you hear 8 distinctive clicks or "buzzes"? After you get it started does it run good with no missing or low power? Does it even try and start if you don't have it plugged in?

If you didn't pull the bully dog programming out before you had it reflashed then yes, it's gone. You will have to get in touch with bully dog to get it working again.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 AM

2004 with 75,000 miles.Truck will not attempt to start untill plugged in. I did not test anything myself, but was there when the tech had it on his laptop. It gave no codes. It wouldn't start untill the new cam sensor was installed. The new cam sensor was installed and it ran good but would only start when plugged in. At this point I took it to a well respected Diesel shop here in Wisconsin. He called and said the FICM was bad, and it had codes and needed an update. He did the FICM, cleared the codes and installed the update. Took it home, let it sit overnight. No start in A.M. Took it back, he installed a pigtail on the Cam sensor. He said those commenly go bad on the 04's. Took it home again, let it sit overnight, no start in A.M. Plugged it in. Starts right up. Runs, good, starts good when plugged in. Looking for some possibilities as I will be calling the garage tomorrow. As far as the Bullydog, kinda figured on having to call them.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Hmm, hard to say what's going on without knowing what the truck is doing. Best thing to do would be to ask him to watch ICP pressure during cranking. As long as that's getting over 500 psi then it's fine. I'd also watch FICM voltage while cranking, but it should be good if they just did the FICM. I would also watch for FICM sync during cranking. The FICM needs to see both cam and crank sensor readings before it will try and fire the injectors. I know they did the cam sensor but they might need to do a crank sensor as well. Most times people will replace them in pairs.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Crank sensor was done as well. Problem is by the time I got the truck to him it was already warm so it started no problem, and the cam and crank sinked on his laptop as well...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Does it try and start at all when after it sits overnight? Does it smoke at all? Or does it just crank and crank, never try to fire, and not smoke?

If it's trying to start and smoking that makes me think more of a injector related issue.

If it's not even trying to start then I'd be thinking more of a goofy electrical issue.

How long has this been going on? Did it just start to get worse since it got cold out? How long do you have to leave it plugged in before it will start?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM

It cranks and cranks doesn't smoke or try to start. I plug it in for a few hours and it starts no problem. When the cam sensor went out and the cam and crank sesors were replaced the issue started. When I took it home the very next day it happened. This was before the FICM was replaced, and the codes were cleared and update was done. Now the FICM was replaced it has the same issue. The guy at the diesel shop ensured me it was bad. Only thing is I still have the same issue with not starting when cold. Kinda irritating.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM

Well, thanks to Lyle at Bully Dog I have the program loaded back in. He was a great help! Now the truck goes back to the garage to get diagnosed. He is going to keep it overnight and wait for the cold start in the a.m. Hopefully he figures it out soon...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Glow plug relay good? Just a shot in the dark......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.