IRP Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IRP Question

Having a no start issue with my 05' 6.0 MY question is the electrical connection that goes around the shaft on the IRP. It just slid off when I was removing IRP with a 1 3/8" wrench, wrench was on the nut and never touched outer housing. Is this a problem, I was able to crimp metal housing back down onto IRP but am not sure if it will work. I was taking IRP out to check screen, which was clean and in great shape. Another problem is Im getting air/foaming in secondary fuel housing, after removing filter and fuel I did key on to fill up housing and noticed air/foaming when it was filling up ( which it fills up fast) don't know if it could be related to no start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Hmm, never had the solenoid part come off one of those IPR's. I guess as long as you got it seated down all the way and it will stay there it should be fine, but don't think I'd trust it. Even if it's not the issue how do you know it's not going to work it's way loose and leave you on the side of the road?

If it was loose on there then could be the reason for your no start to begin with.

If the fuel filter is filling up fast fuel pressure should be ok, or at least enough for it to run. If it's not smoking or trying to start at all then I doubt it's a fuel pressure issue. Of course you should verify you have good fuel pressure by rigging up a manual fuel gauge.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM

I will be rigging up a gauge monday morning, I know there is plenty of fuel pressure but I need to know for sure, it was the air/foaming that concerned me, the primary filter/pump is dry on the out side showing no signs of leaks ( if its sucking air when running then it should be leaking when not running ?). I changed ICP and pig tail, Cam shaft sensor, oil drain valve(one of the bottom 3 finger hold down was broken) and I noticed when I filled oil housing up to top by cranking it without cap & filter it all drained back down when I stopped cranking it. put new stand pipes & dummy plugs, new STC kit installed and new o-rings and screen on IRP. new turbo drain pipe. after all this sometimes it will start and run, I would let it idle for an hour or less, it would die on its own or after I shut it down it wouldn't re-start. Been cranking and checking wires for a week now and still no start.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you had a fuel leak from the lower filter up to the engine then yes, it should leak. But if you have any issues from the tank to the fuel pump it won't leak because this is on the suction side. Having some air bubbles show up in the upper filter housing isn't that uncommon. Also your symptoms don't sound like a fuel issue as much as they do a high pressure oil leak.

You said you did a STC fitting so I'm assuming this is an 05 on up truck? How many miles? Do you have any way to check codes or monitor ICP pressures? It died on you and won't start up at all now?

I would monitor ICP pressure while cranking. If it's low then you need to try and pressurize the high pressure oil system with shop air to determine the leak.

Last edited by justinmix; 12-27-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:55 PM

yes its an 05 with 150000.0 miles. While doing STC fitting I noticed the HPOP gear was stamped with a date of 7/14/07 so someone changed it out before I bought it, ( truck had 108000.0 when I bought it 9 months ago) No codes from new scan-gauge ll I just bought to try and help me figure no start, but I do have 1131 psi at ICP according to scan-gauge ll While cranking IRP starts at 14.8 and goes up 44.6 FICM never drops below 47 volts. and yes 1st time it died on me while idling at a light, but started after about 45 mins. of cranking and checking on parts under hood. drove it home ( hour hiway drive at 80 mph) ran great, got home and no start issue on and off but didn't drive it anywhere cus it would usually die after idling for 10 mins or an hour while checking it out.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Still waiting on adapter for fuel pressure. But in the mean time I applied air to ICP and heard air and gurgling noise near rear of motor passenger side. pulled stand pipes which were only a week old, pulled oil rail and injector on passenger side, replaced all o-rings and copper tips on passenger side, still no start. Applied more air and now I hear more air in rear HPOP, gonna pull driver side injectors (reseal) today and pull off HPOP cover and air check it there. DOES it matter if I turn the gear on HPOP when I have it my hand or are there TIMMING marks on pump. When I had pump out last time for STC kit ins all I was turning gear by hand checking for suction issue.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 AM

You cant apply air to the system to check for leaks and do it rite without applying power to the ipr to make it close. If you just put air to it, it will run through the pass. side and the rest will dump into the hpop res. That is why you are hearing air at the back. But make sure you dont apply power to the ipr for over 3 seconds at a time or you will burn it up. Also did you check the oring and cone washer on top of the injectors when you had them out? That is where they usually leak from.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

When you pressure test the high pressure oil system you need to energize the IPR or it will just dump off. Rig up a set of jumper wires and apply 12v and ground to the IPR. You can actually leave voltage to it for up to 2 minutes without damaging the IPR.

Jump the IPR, the apply air pressure. If you still hear it gurgling then you have a leak. If you take voltage away from the IPR while you have it pressurized then you will hear it bleed off the pressure thru the IPR.

If you don't hear any leaks then you probably have something else going on.

If you did have a high pressure oil leak at an injector then it would be the top o-ring/seal on the injector where the oil rail nipple goes into it.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 AM

All I could do is visually inspect them, looked ok nothing torn or damaged but hey could be brittle and hard, ford doesn't sell them. call alliant power and of course they were closed for holiday. Is there any seal (o-ring) for the oil rail where stand pipe and dummy plug goes into the head, I ease the oil injector tips on oil rail onto injectors and then stand pipe and plug into position, seem like there should be some kind of seal there for the 2 holes. Not sure on how to supply power to IRP I don't want to burn it up $ 160.00 from international. I read some tech tips but wasn't to sure.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 AM

so just make to long wires, plug them into IRP and then touch other end of wires to battery pos and ground and while it hooked up apply air and listen for leaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.