6.0 Turbo Flutter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Turbo Flutter

My 2004 6.0 EGR Cooler failed. Installed the EGR Delete kit. After putting the truck back together, I now am experiencing turbo flutter back through the intake on deceleration and no power. I drove the truck for a while and the flutter seemed to improve and power came back around slightly. Also when the truck is turned off you can hear turbo noise back through the intake for several seconds. I don't recall hearing this in the past. I'm assuming the water than ran through the exhaust due to the failed egr cooler has done something to the turbo. I'm relatively new to dealing with diesels so excuse me if I'm asking any dumb questions. Just trying to get ideas on what the problem may be before I waste my time hunting down the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure

1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)

2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)

3. Turn on the headlights

4. Disconnect both batteries

5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).

6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes

7. Turn off the headlights.

8. Re-connect batteries

9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".

10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.

11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:
15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn" its adaptive strategy.

Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed.

Hope this helps. Worth a try.

After my egr delete ect... My truck ran like hell untill I did the vgt relearn

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Appreciate the help. I'll give it a try.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The flutter noise itself is a normal characteristic on a 6.0. As far as the power issue, I would check where the "y" pipe clamps to the turbo. Sometimes can be very hard to get lined up properly. The clamp will still go on but you get a boost leak where the "y" pipe connects to the turbo.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Everyone has good ideas, one other possibility is that coolant went thru the exhaust side of the turbo and the VGT fins are gummed up and sticking. This will often cause excessive turbo "bark" or "flutter" noises.

Any time I have a EGR cooler blow I always split the turbo and buff it out.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

I was wondering if this ever worked for the OP, my truck blew the head gasket, and had a gummed up oil cooler, so the truck just had arp studs, HG, BPD egr cooler, and ford oem oil cooler done and just had CAT ELC coolant put in. Im not having loss of power but i am having excessive turbo flutter upon deceleration, so i was wondering if the VGT relearn may fix this. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine was making flutter noises. After teardown I found that the Vanes were burned through, and the unison ring was frozen. Long story short, I replaced the turbo with a new unit from a Garrett dealer. No more flutter sound now, at all. Just normal turbo "whistle". I never got any codes, and triggering the VGT relearn would fix the sound for a day or so.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

i hope i dont need to tear down the turbo, it was just pulled apart and cleaned 2 months ago by the mechanic who did the oil cooler, egr cooler, and headgaskets. I wont be happy if i need to replace it either lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.