AE codes pulled on no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AE codes pulled on no start

Ok just got the AE scan tool for the Fords from a place that was named in these forums.
I have a 05 F-350 Dually with a no start condition so I tryed the AE on it.Well pulled these codes u1900,b1352,b1318,b1360,b1317,b2658,p0113 looked them all up and the only ones that might cause the no start issue is the key ones?
Checked the FICM volts there at 48v,battery was at 13v.What I think is the oil pressure might not be high enough cause tryed it while cranking it went to a high of about 330psi before I stopped cranking.In all honesty really dont know alot about this AE but it seemed like a good thing to have,if you can figure what it all means and what to look for.I was kinda hoping this AE would detect a blown fuse or something simple.The truck was puchased at a sale,talked to the previous owner and was told the truck had a welding deck on it,they put the box back on and then the no start issue?I did check the fuel pump and it reads ok.I also removed the remote start as had these things cause no start on F=150 s.The key with the truck is a aftermaket cut key by the looks of it.Any advice on how to use or look for something with the AE would be much apprciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCDAVE View Post
Ok just got the AE scan tool for the Fords from a place that was named in these forums.
I have a 05 F-350 Dually with a no start condition so I tryed the AE on it.Well pulled these codes u1900,b1352,b1318,b1360,b1317,b2658,p0113 looked them all up and the only ones that might cause the no start issue is the key ones?
Checked the FICM volts there at 48v,battery was at 13v.What I think is the oil pressure might not be high enough cause tryed it while cranking it went to a high of about 330psi before I stopped cranking.In all honesty really dont know alot about this AE but it seemed like a good thing to have,if you can figure what it all means and what to look for.I was kinda hoping this AE would detect a blown fuse or something simple.The truck was puchased at a sale,talked to the previous owner and was told the truck had a welding deck on it,they put the box back on and then the no start issue?I did check the fuel pump and it reads ok.I also removed the remote start as had these things cause no start on F=150 s.The key with the truck is a aftermaket cut key by the looks of it.Any advice on how to use or look for something with the AE would be much apprciated
Unplug the ICP sensor and keep cranking it. If it fires i know it sounds bizarre but that leaves you with 1 of two possibilities. Actually 3.
1. SMALL high pressure oil leak-dummy plugs stand pipes or small stc fitting leak.
2. Biased ICP sensor
3. Bad IPR.
I say bad IPR because despite reading what the duty cycle was on it, this truck that i worked on 6 months ago suffered from a torn dummy plug o ring, and while i was in there i replaced everything STC bracket, Stand Pipes, Dummy plugs and it left the shop with no issues, it came back in recently doing the same thing, removed the IPR visually it looked good but while idleing it would miss and skip. Thats either a bad FICM or something else in the HPO system, like a pump... So i found the duty cycle in creasing and the ICP increasing with it causing the truck to skip from excessive ICP. Replaced the IPR problem went away.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Ok will try that going back to the truck in a bit just doing some looking around here to see what I can find,about this machine not much about using it to detect issues and what they mean but will figure it outthere are alot of smart people on here,I just had money and figured this would be a cure and easy fix,good thing its only -15 outside.Merry Christmas and thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

At start up, there has to be a minimum of 500 psi before the injectors are enabled. I agree with PowerstrokeTech's approach. By unplugging the ICP, the PCM will go to a default mode for the high pressure oil value. If the truck starts, you can focus your efforts on the components of the high pressure oil delivery and regulation.

Check the ICP for leaks or oil that has bypassed and contaminated the plug.
Check the IPR. If the inlet screen is damaged, more than likely the internal parts of the IPR will be affected.
Any wire chaffing in the harness may cause a short to ground. This could possibly affect the reference voltage supplied to the ICP which would skew the pressure readings.
Or there is a leak in the HPO system.

When using AE, go to the screen where you can monitor several PID's at once. Use the drop down menus and set it up to monitor:

FICM main power 48.0V
FICM Logical Power = to battery voltage
FICM Voltage Power = to battery voltage
ICP
ICP desired
ICP voltage
Reference voltage (should be +/- 5.0V)
IPR duty cycle

These will help diagnose your HPO delivery issues. You can also air test the HPO system. Remove the ICP, and push 100 psi air into the ICP port. This method requires the IPR to be manually closed with a quick 12v signal. I emphasize quick because the IPR can be damaged if voltage is on for too long. Listen for leaks.

Good Luck~
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

ok I printed this and will give it a try just hauled it to the yard with loader and shoved it in the garage and am going to hook it to the AE.just what exacly am I looking for 2 see whats the issue My ICP should read over 500 correct how long while cranking should it take?A quick check the last time showed the FICM was good.Iam pretty sure this is the issue the STC fitting,just want to make sure before I tear it all down.If I have fuel issues I should get no reading from the fuel pump correct?The bowl was full and fills fast last I checked.I have no history on this truck so just going by what I think could be wrong and other peoples no-start problems.This is the last on the list that I can see causing this,unless the fuel is bad or something when they put the box back on.Will check back in a hour or 2 and post my findings from the AE.Happy New Year and Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Here is what I got Ficm 49.50 stayed there during cranking ,ficm logic & voltage both at 12.50 ,
ICP15.86 ,22 while cranking PSI
IPR 14.84 ,84 while cranking
This looks like it could be the hpo STC connection as it is a 05 6.0,letting the battery charge up and going to recheck but there is no pressure on the dash gauge,
Think I will tear into it and do the EGR delete,oil cooler if I can get another,and tackle the HPOP.Kinda need to get it to run to see where I stand with this thing,for $3500.00 can spend a little on it if its not to bad.Body is in good shape and its a dually so its gotta be worth sumething at the end of the day.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCDAVE View Post
Here is what I got Ficm 49.50 stayed there during cranking ,ficm logic & voltage both at 12.50 ,
ICP15.86 ,22 while cranking PSI
IPR 14.84 ,84 while cranking
This looks like it could be the hpo STC connection as it is a 05 6.0,letting the battery charge up and going to recheck but there is no pressure on the dash gauge,
Think I will tear into it and do the EGR delete,oil cooler if I can get another,and tackle the HPOP.Kinda need to get it to run to see where I stand with this thing,for $3500.00 can spend a little on it if its not to bad.Body is in good shape and its a dually so its gotta be worth sumething at the end of the day.
The ICP pressure is definitely too low and the IPR% cranking is too high. Those numbers indicate that the IPR is almost completely closing in an attempt to build up high pressure oil. The ICP or pigtail has failed causing those readings or you have a leak in the HPO system. My dash oil gauge doesn't indicate pressure until startup either.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanks kinda figured that going to start tear down tommorow,its -25 out there tonight ,warm the garage up in am and start another teardown. will post how I made out and what I found.
The AE is a good tool to have if a guy can figure out what the codes and all the sensors have in common when you have a issue.
The 09 F-150 threw a engine light tonite and it took a little while to get it but in the end it looked like a o2 sensor,got the extended on it to 150km its at about 138km so it goes to the dealership.Hard to believe theres 9 hundred some sensors on these things.Thanks guys for the info.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

HPOP exposed

Ok got it all apart now ??? The icr had a hole in the screen can I just replace that with the kit I got?
The STC fitting looks like the updated style and its still together.Do I take it out and install the new one as it looks good?
This is a 05 6.0 and have read that the hpop are kinda a stout unit,or should I replace it because of the screen?
Is there a way to test the sensor on the bench as I have 3 motors sitting in the shop and can use one of them if there good but need to know if I can check the sensor somehow. Also have 3 hpop that can be used,These motors had overheating issues,one has plugged oil-cooler other was a major when oil-cooler let go.Just replaced motors with used ones and just waiting to rebuild them.The outside case of the one I took off the 05 is quite loose in the sense that the plug in moves.Any replies would be apprciated Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

got it figured it out that that case has to move in order to line up the plug DUH.Took the sensor off the motor with low km and put new screen on it though it didn"t need it,also didn"t change the STC as it is a new updated one on the HPOP.Just got to weld up the EGR and put it all back together.Get it to start then see what I have for EOT & ECT if she needs a cooler or not,have one in transit from FORD somewhere they say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.