Just bought 2006 6.0psd 2 months ago - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought 2006 6.0psd 2 months ago

hey guys this is my first diesel, i knew about some of the problems so i bough a ford premium 30k warranty, truck had 42k miles now with 45k its in the shop for new oil cooler, anyhthing else i should be concerned about after oil cooler goes, and will egr delete solve most of the problems of the 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would recomend you tell their mechanics to pressure test the EGR cooler. When the oil cooler goes it useually takes the EGR cooler with it. Oil coolers most common failure is plugging/restriction causeing the coolant to flash boil, it the passes this pressureised steam to the oil cooler where it is further heated and pressures generated ruptures the EGR cooler.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks i will definantley do that. Im new to diesels, but i have done my research on the 6.0. Will a simple egr delete erase the most common problems?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
no it wont.

There are high pressure oil leaks that plague the 6.0, there are the stretch head bolts, there are injector and FICM issues, they are all common. The EGR delete is a step in the right direction though.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM
information regurgitator

It will help. It isn't the magic pill, but it is a giant step in the right direction (leagl issues aside).
If the oil cooler is plugged to the point that they are replacing it, you can bet that the egr cooler has either failed or is two steps away from it. If they pressure test it and it is "still good" in their opinion, it can still fail later on down the line. It would be best to either replace it or delete it now. If you can not delete it (dealers won't install egr cooler delete kits, it is against federal law) and need to replace it on your dime (because the warranty will not replace a "good" part), check out bulletproofdiesel.com and get their egr cooler. Far superior design.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
information regurgitator

He types faster and doesn't say as much.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You guys are right I just shoulda told him to replace it cause it was bound to be weakened.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok all the delete kits i see say for off road use only, is that because of emissions? and one of the reasons i bought this one is cause it was a low mileage 06 2006 was supposed to be a pretty solid year, of course emission crap will screw any truck up even the 6.4 and 6.7 have some of the problems the 6.0 had, but should i really be that worried about headgaskets if i dont chip it? also can u please tell me more about the ficm
Old 12-24-2011, 03:09 PM
information regurgitator

They are all for off road use only because tampering with emissions control equipment is a federal crime. Deleting the egr cooler (an emissions control device) can result in serious fines.

FICM issues:
Mounting a computer in a hot location where it is subject to vibrations is a bad idea. Add to that that the solder used was lead-free (and was sparse to begin with) and you end up with an electronic component that is doomed to fail. Heat will cause the electronic board to expand and contract when it cools. Add to that that the solder just flat out sucks and the vibrations the FICM sees sitting on top of the engine, and the soldering joints fail.
There are places that rebuild them FICM using better electronic components and superior soldering techniques. That generally fixes them for a very long time.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thanks, and as far as headgaskets, should i be too worried if i dont chip it out... i made the mistake of not knowing just how prone to these failures the 6.0 was and bought it because of the low mileage and good price $21k for a cc. My gas mechanic said it would be a good engine just not to chip and not to run it hard around town or hg will blow, then some say work the ruck hard and step on it every once in a while to clear the turbo etc... can u enlinghten me a little bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.