My turn for EGR FAILURE :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My turn for EGR FAILURE :(

Ok, so I have been noticing a little puking from the degas bottle, so I ask a few questions, and decide to put new cap on. Still noticed a bit of puking, but no white smoke, temp deltas have never been over 11*, and no other symptoms of EGR failure.

That was a month ago. It hadn't puked in awhile. Fast forward to this morning. I stop to fuel up, pop the hood to check oil, coolant, and everything else that a good 6.0h owner should check. To my horror, I find that it has puked again, but this time ALOT more than before. Get the truck home and decide its time to pull the EGR valve and have a look. You guys know what's coming I'm sure.........nasty black goo, and alot of it. DAM!!

Now here is my dilemma:

Truck is covered under factory ford extended warranty, yet I know they will only put the ford CRAP back in, oil cooler, egr cooler, gold coolant, etc, and I will be facing this problem again down the road, BUT I won't have to pay for it right now other than the deductible. There are also some other things I could have them fix under warranty while it's there for the EGR stuff. Basically put a band aid on it for now.

OR........I could just spend the $2000 on the full bulletproof kit now, do the work myself, flush the coolant, blah blah blah, all the stuff ya do to fix them for good, and be done with it.

I'm so torn right now, because I would like to take advantage of the warranty, but I also don't want to be jackin around with this 30-40k down the road. Truck has 126k on it, and according to oasis, oil and EGR coolers were replaced at 98k. Sucks to be dealing with this so soon after it was replaced the first time.

Advice/thoughts/$.02 welcome!

Thanks

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
58v Swamps FICM
SCT w/ Matt's SRL Tune
6.4 Banjo Bolts
CCV Mod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I went with the "Never having to mess with it again" route and haven't looked back. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would check about the warranty. A lot of extended warranties won't cover the EGR coolers because it is emissions related.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I would check about the warranty. A lot of extended warranties won't cover the EGR coolers because it is emissions related.
Even though a failed oil cooler caused the EGR cooler to fail?

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
58v Swamps FICM
SCT w/ Matt's SRL Tune
6.4 Banjo Bolts
CCV Mod
Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyota82 View Post
Even though a failed oil cooler caused the EGR cooler to fail?

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
58v Swamps FICM
SCT w/ Matt's SRL Tune
6.4 Banjo Bolts
CCV Mod
Yep. A lot of times they pay for the oil cooler but still won't pay for the EGR cooler.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
whatever you do don't let your warranty determine the longevity of your truck by having substandard repairs done. Possibly offer to meet the dealer half way and pay for some of it to be done right. If you lost coolers that fast the truck obviously needs flushed bad. Unfortunately a lot of warranty flushes are skipped over.

btw ford ESP should cover the oil cooler and egr cooler and maybe an egr valve too. it helps that there's a TSB

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 12-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM

I never got to the "failed cooler" part, I guess I caught my oil cooler fast enough, but I did take the "never having to mess with it again" route. I believe that it is the best decision i have ever made on a truck. You can probably talk to the diesel tech at the dealership and he will probably discretely put and EGR delete and the BPD oil cooler in and charge labor to the warranty. You will still have to buy the parts but not do the work and not pay for the work.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 AM

Here is an update for those wondering.

Took truck to dealer yesterday. They seem to be willing to work with me on this, by leaving certain parts out of the process if you catch my drift.
They will have it diagnosed within a couple days to make sure it's the cooler. Service guy and tech thought it could even be in the early stages of head gasket failure. I hope not, BUT, at least then she can get studded then. They have done many trucks and put studs in and have never had one come back. I asked them if they send the heads off for magnaflux to check for cracks, and also to have them checked for flatness. They said they do that.

My only concern is that I mentioned the TSB regarding the cooler repair and change, and the flush process they use. The TSB states to flush the cooling system AFTER the repair, which I thought was a BIG NO NO. The diesel tech seems to be very knowledgable, but I have to question his knowledge on this part alone. I really think that this could be what caused the coolers to go bad again in less than 30k. Tech says it could have alot to do with previous owners maintenance regiment. He also stated that the oil cooler failures are much more to do with the oil side of the cooler rather than the coolant side.

I call BS on this one, but I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

And thanks for all the replies so far, keep em coming!

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
58v Swamps FICM
SCT w/ Matt's SRL Tune
6.4 Banjo Bolts
CCV Mod

Last edited by badyota82; 12-28-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 AM

From everything I have read on this site and many others... if you have a coolant flush AFTER the new oil cooler is put in it usually results in another oil cooler failure rather quickly.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 AM

I'm going to have to call BS on that too. Ask if you buy the BPD cooler will they put it in and charge the labor that it would take to redo the factory cooler. If they will then you will not have to worry about it anymore. That's if you have the coin, it's expensive but very high quality and worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.