Another 6.0 Head Gasket question...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another 6.0 Head Gasket question......

Ok so the other day i ran my truck pretty hard for about a one minute burst. When i got to where i was going i noticed steam coming out from under the hood i opened it and it was pukin some coolant outa the degas cap. When i got home i took it out of extreme street setting and put it back in stock. I havent had any more pukin problems since then. I have the liberator egr delete which keeps the egr valve in ... no block off plate. also has arp head studs. both were done at a dealer 2 yrs ago. the truck is an 06 6 speed manual and 87 thousand miles. i noticed when it was pukin that the coolant is a rusty color like you cant see thru it. do i have bad head gaskets or am i forceing coolant thru the egr valve? Also i noticed for the first time today that i didnt have any heat. then it started to work latter on.Any help would be aprecieated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It sounds like you need to have it looked at for head gaskets and or heads.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had that happen, but the coolant in the degas bottle smelled like diesel fuel. one of my heads had a crack in the injector tube the other one had some hairline cracks around the exhaust valves. I went ahead and replaced both heads and head gaskets, and put in arp head studs. Now the other day when I started it back up it ran good for about 1 hr then when i went to test drive it I accelerated a little harder and it lost power and blew out lots of white smoke. I have been told that I did not get a injector seated well or I cut an o-ring on injector when i installed it. I did all the work myself. I got about $1800.00 in parts and did the labor on my days off and in the evenings. Good Luck
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrlax5 View Post
Ok so the other day i ran my truck pretty hard for about a one minute burst. When i got to where i was going i noticed steam coming out from under the hood i opened it and it was pukin some coolant outa the degas cap. When i got home i took it out of extreme street setting and put it back in stock. I havent had any more pukin problems since then. I have the liberator egr delete which keeps the egr valve in ... no block off plate. also has arp head studs. both were done at a dealer 2 yrs ago. the truck is an 06 6 speed manual and 87 thousand miles. i noticed when it was pukin that the coolant is a rusty color like you cant see thru it. do i have bad head gaskets or am i forceing coolant thru the egr valve? Also i noticed for the first time today that i didnt have any heat. then it started to work latter on.Any help would be aprecieated.
So you have the EGR cooler deleted but left the EGR valve in place? If so you might have the start of a head gasket issue. If you were still using the EGR cooler I would guess that the oil cooler is restricted starving the EGR cooler and making it flash boil, which would cause excessive coolant pressure.

If you don't have the EGR cooler then it can't be that. If your coolant looks rusty you have an issue there. I'm sure the oil cooler is plugged up, and probably the heater core.

You need to rig up a coolant pressure gauge and see how much pressure you're building. Also have EOT/ECT deltas. You are probably also going to need to do a VC-9 or Restore+ coolant system flush and try to get the rust deposits out of it. Do this before you replace anything or you'll just plug up your oil cooler again. Also a coolant filter system would be a very wise investment.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When mine blew I would still have pressure in the degas tank after it would cool. That is a free test. Also I had the heat issue. When I would be going to work i would have no heat until i would stop at a red light. When it would idel my heat would come back.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im gona be doing the gauge on the coolant line tommorow i just got back in town. Where can i get the restore+ from? thanks guys
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckstine View Post
When mine blew I would still have pressure in the degas tank after it would cool. That is a free test. Also I had the heat issue. When I would be going to work i would have no heat until i would stop at a red light. When it would idel my heat would come back.
so pressure in your degass lets say 8 hours after shut the rig down is a sign of bad head gaskets ??
Old 01-07-2012, 04:06 AM

It is a sign of combustion gases getting into the cooling system. It can only come from the egr cooler or head gaskets. Since your cooler is gone that would leave the heads.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

yeah thats what i thought..well ive only puked one time from the degas so i think i might be in the clear as faras thing not being to badly messed up so but the heads are being done asap
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 AM

mine only puked when i towed, but it always had pressure after driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.