need help... I rebuilt motor now no power under load! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help... I rebuilt motor now no power under load!

So here is the low down. Truck is a 2004 f-250 6.0 with the 2003 engine in it... Ipr is in the back of turbo, I had this truck a year and a half. About 2 months ago while driving truck it seemed under powered under a load and when I got to a friends house the truck was pucking coolant all over his drivway and there was lots of oil in coolant. So I decided to pull motor and do the bullet proof fix to it. Pulled it out and found both heads had small cracks near the seats and the oil cooler had blowen seals, there was the wrong coolant in it and it was eating at all the rubber seals it seems. So I orederd new heads and head gaskets, APR studds, new oil cooler and egr delete all new fluids and filters. The truck has 179,000 on it so I said this is a good time to tear it all the way down and go through the whole thing....I was amazed at how clean it looked inside...honed the cylinders and new rings, mains and rod bearings, all new gaskets. The motor was basically rebuilt except for pistons which looked great, it still had hone marks on the cylinders from factory and no lip at all so went with just the new rings. All goes well put motor back in and it wont start. The fuel lines had got bent pulling it out and when we were hooking it back up it was hard to tell which way they went...well we put them on backwards and after we figured it out and switched them the right way it fired right up. Motor sounds great, idals nice when you rev it up it sounds nice and strong no skips or anything like that, you can hear the turbo spool nice...just sounds strong as hell. so I go for a test drive and it is good to you want to get into it then it seems louder and has no real power like it should...feels like clogged catalytic would on a car, but I have MBRP pipe from turbo back...checked all the pipes and hoses, cleaned the ebp, map sensor looks good, unhooked vrt and it changes the sound of the motor so it seems like it is working, cleaned turbo about 3000 miles ago and you definitly hear it spool all the FICMs are hooked in good....I did replace one injector during rebuild just because it looked shady and new seals and copper washers on the rest of them....All seems fine but can't solve this problem. Could having the lines on backwards mess up the fuel pressure regularter? Ordered a fitting to check the fuel pressure it will be here in a few days..going to put it on a Snap-On scanner today not sure if it will work, there is no engine light on. Seems like an air or fuel problem to me. When I peg it to the floor it dosen't want to go like it should and some, but not a ton of black smoke, but in park it runs like a top...Any help would be great I am lost at this point...THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may want to check your CAC hoses suction and discharge. Did ya get your rings gap staggared pproperly, compression is good?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya we made sure the gaps are staggered...I just got back with some codes a p1000, 603, 2290 and said Icp is low but the truck didn't run long and the guy said it needs run more to cycle longer some code may go away..I don't know. It seems fine until like 3rd 4th gear the RPMs are up but just dont want to go like it should and sounds louder then it use to, it really has a roar to it.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well if it is not blowing a ton of black smoke it would lead me to believe that it is not getting enough fuel. All you need is air, fuel, and compression. If you didn't have enough compression it seems to me that it would not run at all or would have massive blow-by. If it was not getting enough air it would blow a TON of black smoke. That only leaves fuel. I would check fuel PSI and if you already have the blue spring in FPR then you might want to look into another fuel pump.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If the ICP is low then that could also be the reason of it not getting enough fuel. Probably need to monitor your ICP while driving. Mine gets all the way up to 4.5v - 4.8v at WOT. With all that you did to the motor did you replace IPR and ICP?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no i did not replace them and I am kicking myself in the *** for not doing it....how do you monitor IPC while driving? waitng on adaptor to get here to read fuel psi, it should be here by thursday...then if good check turbo for stuck vien, if good new ICP, IPR.......any input would be great?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The ICP codes are probably just in it from cranking it and getting the motor running. I wouldn't get to worried about the codes till you run it more.

Did you happen to notice if the ICP sensor connector had oil in it? 03 trucks are very prone to having ICP sensor issues. If it did have a ICP issue it should have thrown a check engine light.

I would guess at a boost issue. Did you pull the turbo apart and clean it? If it's been sitting for a long time it's possible it rusted up.

Wouldn't hurt to check fuel pressure either.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Keep in mind it is very tricky to get the y-pipe to line up with the turbo. An exhaust leak there will cause a serious lack of power. Get a good scanner, and record some data-we need IPR duty cycle, ICP (Psi) desired and actual. That will give us a baseline to see what's going on.

Also, hook up a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by powergruve View Post
So here is the low down. Truck is a 2004 f-250 6.0 with the 2003 engine in it... Ipr is in the back of turbo, I had this truck a year and a half. About 2 months ago while driving truck it seemed under powered under a load and when I got to a friends house the truck was pucking coolant all over his drivway and there was lots of oil in coolant. So I decided to pull motor and do the bullet proof fix to it. Pulled it out and found both heads had small cracks near the seats and the oil cooler had blowen seals, there was the wrong coolant in it and it was eating at all the rubber seals it seems. So I orederd new heads and head gaskets, APR studds, new oil cooler and egr delete all new fluids and filters. The truck has 179,000 on it so I said this is a good time to tear it all the way down and go through the whole thing....I was amazed at how clean it looked inside...honed the cylinders and new rings, mains and rod bearings, all new gaskets. The motor was basically rebuilt except for pistons which looked great, it still had hone marks on the cylinders from factory and no lip at all so went with just the new rings. All goes well put motor back in and it wont start. The fuel lines had got bent pulling it out and when we were hooking it back up it was hard to tell which way they went...well we put them on backwards and after we figured it out and switched them the right way it fired right up. Motor sounds great, idals nice when you rev it up it sounds nice and strong no skips or anything like that, you can hear the turbo spool nice...just sounds strong as hell. so I go for a test drive and it is good to you want to get into it then it seems louder and has no real power like it should...feels like clogged catalytic would on a car, but I have MBRP pipe from turbo back...checked all the pipes and hoses, cleaned the ebp, map sensor looks good, unhooked vrt and it changes the sound of the motor so it seems like it is working, cleaned turbo about 3000 miles ago and you definitly hear it spool all the FICMs are hooked in good....I did replace one injector during rebuild just because it looked shady and new seals and copper washers on the rest of them....All seems fine but can't solve this problem. Could having the lines on backwards mess up the fuel pressure regularter? Ordered a fitting to check the fuel pressure it will be here in a few days..going to put it on a Snap-On scanner today not sure if it will work, there is no engine light on. Seems like an air or fuel problem to me. When I peg it to the floor it dosen't want to go like it should and some, but not a ton of black smoke, but in park it runs like a top...Any help would be great I am lost at this point...THANKS!
Where abouts in upstate ny are ya?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Diesel is Power!!!

Could there still be air in the HOP system that would cause this? Just something to consider after having the rails off. How long have you ran it? Can you try and do a series of WOT runs to get the air out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air, fuel, no power, problem, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.