2004 PSD - Head Gasket Failure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2004 PSD - Head Gasket Failure

It looks like I have found a HG failure. I don't have any puking, fluids mixing, or hydro locked, but it appears I have determined a HG failure on the drivers side.

A little over a year ago, due to puking I installed a BPD EGR delete and external air-to-oil cooler (OEM oil cooler delete). Since then I have had no coolant loss or puking, or fluid loss of any sort.

Recently I install a 4" cat back exhaust, and an 80HP tune from DP-Tuner. Looks like the extra power did me in. What a shame...

While getting ready to do some work under the hood during my vacation, I noticed some moisture around the driver's side header, and upon further investigation, this is what I found...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man that sucks! I guess its time for new gaskets and studs and then your set for a long long time.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Carbon huffing animal

I've been stewing in my head, and planning a new set of heads, HG's and ARP's. But not right now. It is really really bad timing.....

If I can find a way to lift the cab, I'm doing this myself. Otherwise its getting hauled to Bean's
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM

This is your DD also right? You gonna do it your self or pay to have it done?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Carbon huffing animal

It's my daily driver, and the plan is to do this myself. Although, the plan....has been new heads, HG's and ARP's, that being the job done myself. Been budgeting for that since it seems 8 out of 10 heads are craked on these things. If I have to pay someone to do it, I have to hope I'm one of the 2 out of 10.....
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM

It would be a good gamble since you are not out there running it as hard as most people with big tuners etc... Looks like you caught it early so maybe you will get lucky. On the other hand, about three days and a lot of sore muscles later you could do it.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Yeah, the EGR Delete/Oil Cooler weekend was rough. I hurt for a few days after that one.

I have a good friend who works at a Cadillac dealer. My first cal is going to be to him to see if he can get news heads for any kind of wholesale cost, and then secondly to ask if he knows of a place where I could rent shop space for a couple days to do the work.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM

I wonder if those heads have an International part number as well? I have a mechanic friend with an account there. Could have him check on a price for you as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Carbon huffing animal

I tried the international dealer here, and they could not pull them up. I don't understand why, but the guy seemed to give his best shot, with no sucess. But if you think he can find them, I'm open to all ideas to save what ever money I can. I've already dropped $5000 on this truck, and preparing to drop another $4000 plus. Every little bit helps...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey Eric, I called my guy and he seems to think he can get them but he needs your engine serial number off the sticker on your valve cover. Get that for me and he will call in the morning for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.