yes turbo again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yes turbo again

Company truck is a 07 F-650 6.0 psd. 56.000 miles. 4 new turbos and cleaned three other times. plus few more problems. Now the ford tech said a ring in the turbo is bad and can not get a replacement must get a new turbo. I don't know what the ring is called but it is real sluggish at take off and has a miss in it. If I am idealing in nutral and push the peddal it will blow tons of white or light blue smoke.
It has been said on this site to run it like you stole it. I have been taking a back hilly road to run the crape out of it. Why is it when I run it hard in all kind of rpm's I hear the turbo stick just for a brief second. I cann't run it any harder than this and many times I have 6.000 to 8.000 lbs in the bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The ring being refered is called the unison ring, its rotation or lack thereof affects the control of the vanes. There is also a slot that the controler solenoid pushes against to open and close the vanes if it becomes elongated from wear it no longer movees the proper distance causeing performance issues. The controler is fixed and has a limited amount of travel. Once that is exceded you can't get proper movement of the ring.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
Company truck is a 07 F-650 6.0 psd. 56.000 miles. 4 new turbos and cleaned three other times. plus few more problems. Now the ford tech said a ring in the turbo is bad and can not get a replacement must get a new turbo. I don't know what the ring is called but it is real sluggish at take off and has a miss in it. If I am idealing in nutral and push the peddal it will blow tons of white or light blue smoke.
It has been said on this site to run it like you stole it. I have been taking a back hilly road to run the crape out of it. Why is it when I run it hard in all kind of rpm's I hear the turbo stick just for a brief second. I cann't run it any harder than this and many times I have 6.000 to 8.000 lbs in the bed
As posted above, it is called a unison ring and can be purchased/replaced separately.
Long idle times, shutting it off with the EGT's too high and a leaking egr cooler are the leading causes of turbo problems.
The long idle time problem (if long idle times are a necessity in your line of work) can be remedied by installing a high idle. This is VERY VERY easy to do on an 06-up truck. With just a flip of a switch, having the truck in park and setting the e-brake, the engine would idle up to 1200 RPM. That is high enough to keep the junk from building up.
To do this mod is very simple. Just above your e-brake pedal, there is a bundle of cut wires. In that bundle, find the purple wire with a green stripe. Get fused (5 amp) 12 volt power to that wire any way you choose. (preferably a power source that is switched on with the key...or you can install a toggle switch). Once you finish this, anytime that wire is live, you set the e-brake, have the trans in park and keep your foot of the regular brake, the engine will auto-idle up to 1200 rpm. Switch off the power, release the e-brake or step on the regular brake and place the trans in gear and the idle will drop to normal.

Solving the issue with shutting the truck off with high EGT's would require a pyromoeter (egt gauge). Shut the truck down with the egt's no higher than 400F.

The leaking egr cooler, if minimal, can cause rust to form on the surface that the unison ring slides on. This rust scale will impede the free movement of the unison ring and cause the vanes to stick. Check for a slight failure of the egr cooler by parking the truck on a good decline. Yank the egr valve out, and leave it like that overnight (a good 6-10 hours). This is also a good time to clean the egr valve, which causes its own problems if clogged up with junk.
In the morning check the hole in the intake for the presence of any liquid. The soot should be a dry, packed powder. If the soot is greasy feeling, the egr cooler has failed. Be careful to not knock off any big chunks of soot and leave it in there. Vac out any chunks you can.

Now a question: Has the VGT solenoid been replaced? This could also be a source of problems.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't say if the selenoid was replaced or not. I don't see or hear about all the repairs that are done. The ford tech said that the ring in this turbo you can't get a replacement ring. He showed me a ring they changed in one of there trucks that can be replaced. I find it hard to believe you can't order one from somewhere. Why would the turbo stick when it's being run hard ? I can see if it would stick after sitting for a while. As far as shutting it down I leave it idle 5-10 min before shut down
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Okay first thing i notice is the truck has no miles. The reason why the turbo has been replaced is for the main reason why i replace them. The unison ring will sieze to the CHRA and you can not clean this i have before and had issues with the turbo surging a few thousand miles later. You HAVE to drive the truck and i always recommend you get the RPMs up and up fast on a good romp at least twice a week. I have one customer that always goes ballistic over the turbo failing and believes that well if the truck isnt driven the turbo cant fail. If the truck isnt going to be driven, pull the turbo apart and soak everything in oil to prevent rust. The unison ring in his turbo was stuck to the CHRA and DID NOT come lose when i pryed it loose. I had to heat it to pry it off the CHRA and when i did it snapped in half.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I do take off hard all the time. I like watching cars pull to my side at a light thinking they will blow past me. I make them work to get past.
Is there a turbo that replaces the factory one To were you just bolt it on with the stock set up.? This turbo thing is a pain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.