Another White Smoke Thread. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another White Smoke Thread.

So, about a week or two ago, I was driving down the highway, minding my own business, when out of nowhere a puddle of water jumps in front of me. Well, to be fair, it was raining... but anyways.

I hit this puddle of water and let off the gas, so as not to swerve off the road and kill myself. Once I am clear of the puddle, I go to accelerate. Whomp whomp whomp, chug chug chug, no power. I try again. Same thing. Then I notice a small cloud of white smoke. "WTH?!?!" I exclaim, immediately pull of the side of the road and shut her off. Ever since then, off and on, she will become entirely un-driveable, no power, bogs herself out, and puffs white smoke.

What the heck do I have here?

I JUST pulled the EGR valve before posting this thread, and it was caked on the inside, but it wasn't "wet." It wasn't bone-dry, either, but certainly not what I would consider moist. Plus, I don't really know what the soot should be like... charcoal, oil paints, or somewhere in-between. I've had several people use their noses to check the smoke's scent, not a single person has described the smoke as "sweet" smelling, even when I ask, "does it smell kind of sweet, like anti-freeze?" They all say it smells like straight-up diesel exhaust, and I'd agree, though my sense of smell isn't the greatest.

So, to recap:

White smoke with almost complete loss of power, under load.
EGR Valve was not Gooey or Steam-cleaned, but was not bone-dry, either.
White smoke does not have a discernible "sweet" smell to it.
No Check Engine Light.
No loss in Coolant level, Oil Level, or Oil pressure, that I can tell.

Please help. Please.

Last edited by jehicks87; 12-16-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 PM

anybody?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM
information regurgitator

Check the egr by parking the truck on a decent hill nose down, pull the valve and leave it like that overnight. Check the bottom of the hole in the morning for ANY wetness. The soot should be dry packed powder. Not greasy in any way.
Find anything other than that and the egr cooler has failed.
You might also want to clean the egr valve while its out using carb cleaner. A sticking egr valve could also give you the symptoms you describe.
It can also be caused by a failing ficm or injector stiction, but those present themselves when the engine is cold.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM

So, newb question, but I HAVE to drive this thing home on tuesday, and back on the 2nd of Jan. (400 miles one-way). What is the danger of driving with a leaking egr cooler, if in fact that turns out to be what it is?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehicks87 View Post
So, newb question, but I HAVE to drive this thing home on tuesday, and back on the 2nd of Jan. (400 miles one-way). What is the danger of driving with a leaking egr cooler, if in fact that turns out to be what it is?
I'm no mechanic, but I been rambling thru this site for a while and have read just about every EGR post on here. I believe I'm right about this, if not somebody will correct me. The egr cooler is there to cool your exhaust gases, when it fails the coolant will mix with the exhaust gases and be taken into the intake, it may not do much damage at first but if ignored over time it can get hot enough to stretch your head bolts and blow your head gaskets, u should also be loosing coolant thru your exhaust, which means it will go thru your turbo, and from what I hear it can really mess your turbo up. also one of the main reasons a egr cooler fails is because of a clogged oil cooler. If the oil cooler continues to clog it can rupture then u will have a big mess with oil mixing with your coolant, then u got oil all in your cooling system. If it were me I would make sure my egr and oil coolers were in top notch shape before taking off on a 400 mile trip. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Firefighter Member

when you pulled the egr out did you clean it to new look? If so one test is hold the end to a light......can you see the light through the valve, sometimes something will get cought in there holding it open....sometimes....which will make it do what your discribing. My egr valve was becoming stuck open so I found a used one for $50 and fixed it. Another thing is when you have the egr off start your truck up with your foot to the floor, this will clean your egr out. What you are discribing sounds exactly what I just went through. Try the starting the truck up and the light test on the egr and post back to let us know whats going on.
By the way all information I am giving to you was told to me by a mechanic who has worked on 6.0's since the day they came out. He works on all of ours for the fire rescue ambulances every day so I trust his word....and it worked for me.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Yes, I've read about the gases stretching the bolts, but there's really nothing I can do other than drive it. I don't have another vehicle currently.

I'll try that out when I get a chance to, I'm afraid to take the valve back out until I can get new o-rings. The ones that were on it looked pretty done-in, but I didn't have any replacements on hand, so I just kind of had to go with it.

Damn.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM
information regurgitator

Be a whole lot cheaper to rent a ride versus replacing head gaskets....
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
see if you can pull any codes out of it, sometimes the check engine light won't illuminate with EGR issues.

with the key off unplug the valve and see if it runs without it. if it's still doing the same thing you may have an injector issue
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
see if you can pull any codes out of it, sometimes the check engine light won't illuminate with EGR issues.

with the key off unplug the valve and see if it runs without it. if it's still doing the same thing you may have an injector issue
Wouldnt running it without the EGR valve hurt something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.