6.0l questions, bad test drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l questions, bad test drive

at a dealer,

drove an 04. f550 75Kmi a 7 out of 10 barely any rust even on the frame and leaves. It needs either an egr cooler or headgaskets. The ect and eot temps stayed within spec, but when it hit full boost, 33 psi, it lost power and started blowing white smoke... First instinct is to run. second thought is damn that truck is in really great shape minus the motor which is about to go through the shop and have everything replaced... how long does this fix last? and if I get it with all new parts what are the chances of keeping it running well. dumping the ford gold for ec-1.
I would say installing parts like bulletproof egr and such is possible, and If it is neccessary I may be able to talk the dealer into installing them..
Need some opinions and reasons. Do I keep running?

I want experience stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

33 psi of boost sounds high to me. Normally it's around 23-27 psi max. If it's really getting 33 psi stock then something is wrong with the turbo. If they have been running around with it over boosting then it could cause issues with the engine or possible head gasket problems.

Did it puke any coolant out of the degas bottle? Do you see any signs of dried coolant around the cap? I would check coolant pressure under load and see what's going on.

If it looks more like it's a EGR cooler issue I would install a EGR delete.

Guess it depends on how good of a deal it is. Are they offering any sort of warranty with it?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would either make them put OEM HG's, ARP studs (your gonna have to buy them), Egr delete or BPD egr cooler, (you're probably gonna have to buy also), and clean the turbo. Sounds like the veins are sticking b/c 33 psi boost is high, especially stock. Then I would negotiate on price as you had to spend all that cash to get it running again.

Oh yea get them to throw an oil cooler in there too as that is probably what caused the HG failure. Also 33 psi could have caused it.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They were running compression tests on it the last I spoke to them. See what the findings are. EGR is junk. Believe oil cooler too. I know the manager. he certainly has to make money too but it helps. and a 12/12k warranty, Ill keep ya posted. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would not let them put the OEM EGR cooler back in there.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

current standing and could use some advice.
Dealer is will to foot the labor bill to tear down the engine and do an egr cooler, oiler cooler, head studs and gaskets. The only "required" work right now is the egr cooler. Ect and Eot stayed with 15* when I had it... compression tests came back fine, so head gaskets aren't considered necessary.

from BPD the total on my end comes to just over 4k with shipping. If I drive the truck home for 20,500. I'm into it for 25k. Is the truck done? Is it worth that kind of money?

I would sure hope I will no longer be seeing any issues and with routine maintenance I am going to be getting plenty of power for the next 200k. any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM

If you can see if you can have them throw on a delete for the EGR. With the Ford IDS on these truck I have personally seen boost levels of 32-34 on a stock worked hard truck with a trailer on it. Stock gauge reads 25
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well I bought the truck

Dealer is putting in

BPD Egr cooler
BPD oil cooler kit
ARP head studs
new head gaskets.
There is a whole long list of little bits here and there they are replacing.

I am not fond of the idea of the delete. Especially when you dont have to you can simply put in a proven cooler. Should be sweeeeeet.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 AM

are you from maine?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to texas_psd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb maine View Post
well I bought the truck

Dealer is putting in

BPD Egr cooler
BPD oil cooler kit
ARP head studs
new head gaskets.
There is a whole long list of little bits here and there they are replacing.

I am not fond of the idea of the delete. Especially when you dont have to you can simply put in a proven cooler. Should be sweeeeeet.
That's quite generous for a car dealer. Call me cynical, but I would get the receipts for all of the parts. Not just a dealer service drive receipt, but something that shows where they bought these parts. And good call on the EGR, IMHO. No reason to ditch the system when the parts exist to ensure it operates correctly.

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy your new truck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.