Loss of power and black smoking bad. Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Loss of power and black smoking bad. Help!

I have an 05 psd. It has ARP head studs, egr delete, SCT tunes. I just finished installing the stand pipes update, dummy plug update, STC fitting update, injector o'rings, ICP sensor, and the IPR valve in the High Pressure Oil System. Truck took a bit to crank up after breaking the HPO system apart like normal. It runs fine in park. Soon as you throw it in drive or reverse it vibrates like it wants to die. Really doesn't take the acceleration at all, if you get on the pedal it damn near dies and blows out an ungodly amount of straight black smoke. I'm not pulling any DTC's. I drove it around the neighborhood a couple of times and it never straightened out. I couldn't even make it up the smallest incline, like the driveway. I'm stumped. Any help I would sure appreciate it.

David

Last edited by Ryan81; 12-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
I have an 05 psd. It has ARP head studs, egr delete, SCT tunes. I just finished installing the stand pipes update, dummy plug update, STC fitting update, injector o'rings, ICP sensor, and the IPR valve in the High Pressure Oil System. Truck took a bit to crank up after breaking the HPO system apart like normal. It runs fine in park. Soon as you throw it in drive or reverse it vibrates like it wants to die. Really doesn't take the acceleration at all, if you get on the pedal it damn near dies and blows out an ungodly amount of straight black smoke. I'm not pulling any DTC's. I drove it around the neighborhood a couple of times and it never straightened out. I couldn't even make it up the smallest incline, like the driveway. I'm stumped. Any help I would sure appreciate it.

David
I went out this morning and tried to crank her up. It tries to crank you can feel it and hear the engine fire but it doesn't stay running now. Yesterday when I started the engine I had my block heater cord plugged in all day. I just plugged in the block heater this morning right when I was trying to crank her up. I will give it awhile and try again when she is warm. The block heater seems to help even though it isn't that cold down here in SE TX. Also when my truck broke down about 5 months ago it has been sitting with only a 1/4 of a tank and a friend talked me into adding more Power Service Diesel Kleen to the tank since it was gonna be sitting. Put a lot in there considering it only had a quarter tank of diesel in it. Any suggestions.

David
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Maybe your injectors are stuck open???? Idk. Don't recall ever reading anything about someone having this problem. Hopefully someone will chime in that can help you out. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM

I ran the bubble test on the fuel system for testing injector problems. Pulled the fuel pump fuse, FICM fuse, PCM fuse. Had the secondary fuel filter pulled and cranked the motor over for 10 seconds. No bubbles at all. Tested good. Had the oil filter pulled too and oil is flowing in the filter housing while cranking. It still fires like it wants to start but no bueno.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if you are able to pull codes , can you monitor icp pressure
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 AM

No sir, my scanner can't monitor the ICP pressures. Before I did all of this work on the HPO system I was pulling P2285 ICP circuit too low. Now I'm not pulling anything. Its just weird how I had it running yesterday and now it wont start at all.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
No sir, my scanner can't monitor the ICP pressures. Before I did all of this work on the HPO system I was pulling P2285 ICP circuit too low. Now I'm not pulling anything. Its just weird how I had it running yesterday and now it wont start at all.
The only thing in the high pressure oil system I hadn't replaced is the branch tube and the HPOP itself.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

im curious about the condition of the ipr , after alot of major repairs , ive seen debris get into the ipr screen and hender ipr operation, similar symptoms and no starts
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 AM

The IPR is brand new, I get what your saying though. Do you think I should break it back down and check it?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM

I finally figured it out. The middle FICM plug fell out. Wasn't snapped in. Runs like a scalded ape now. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
black smoke, power loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.