slow start and oil gauge dummy light?? Need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slow start and oil gauge dummy light?? Need help

I just bought at 04 f250 with the 6.0 diesel and it's having some issues. It started right up when I went to look at it, but ever since I got it home it usually takes 3 tries of about 10-15 seconds of cranking to start. Then it idles rough for about 5 seconds before idling normal. The oil gauge dummy light is on while cranking, but goes off as soon as it starts. The light comes back on at idle once the truck is warm and goes off again once I touch the accelerator pedal. It drove just fine when I drove it 60 miles home and I've only driven it one other time since I bought it. Running and driving seem fine, but the slow start scares me.
I replaced the oil pressure sensor and changed the oil to 5w40 and a motorcraft filter. I also checked the FICM and get 47.8 volts with the key on and 47.3 when cranking and running. I've been reading about hpop and a few other acronyms that I don't totally understand, but I'm not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any advice about what to try next or what the problem could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To get a better idea of what is going on you need to have it scanned while starting reading live data by someone who knows how to interpret that data. The gauge is about useless since it only reads 7 psi. Check for a minimum of 500 psi on the high pressure oil at crank up to 1200 or so running. To accurately test the low pressure system you need to use a mechanical test gauge at the filter houseing or the oil temp sensor port. Both will need an adapter. I recomend going to the link for Ford diesel doctor site and download the 03 6.0 manual and the 04 supplement. Not a true mechanics manual but real helpfull.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll see if I can rent a scan tool. The truck is not registered, so I can't take it anywhere. Is it possible that a problem with the oil system or oil pressure could be causing the hard starting?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A scan tool won't tell you what you need to know. You need a tool like a Scangauge2.
See the t-shooting guide in my sig. What you are looking at here is a worn out low pressure oil pump, maybe excess clearance in the bearings, oil pressure switch going south.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Sounds like a low pressure problem to me. I didn't think a dash light came on for high pressure problems. Mine never did.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a way to test the low pressure pump? I replaced the oil pressure sensor (the single wire that goes to the dash gauge) and still have the problem.

Also I'm trying to figure out how scangauge2 will help me monitor oil pressure? I don't see it on their site:
ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

Or am I supposed to look at something else with it?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Yeah put a pressure gauge on it. The test port is a brass fitting with a black plastic cap on it. Its on the front of the oil cooler cover just down below your oil filter.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hooked up an obdII scanner today and got no codes (no surprise there).

Do you have a picture of the test port or where it is? I looked on my truck and didn't see it. I tried searching here, but most people say to T off the oil pressure sensor. Is that the easiest way to do it?

Assuming it is a low oil pressure problem what am I looking at it terms of fixing it?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM

That port is under the intake. I've never had to test from that port. I just know where it is. I've read that it is a pain to get to. Probably why folks are testing from the sensor port.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Hey go here and look at page 24 Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.