EOT Consern - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EOT Consern

I got my new scangauge a couple days ago and it showed me that my T-stat was not working right. So last night I popped in a new stat. Today I took a road trip to College station which was about 200 miles round trip. My ECT now holds at 190 but my EOT climbed up to 208. I was running 70mph. Iv read about a 15 degree difference but most of the problems iv read about people are seeing a lot higher EOT. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't get too worried at 18 deg delta.. If you haven't flushed your cooling system yet, I would give it a flush with restore only and not restore+ or vc9. Then start planing your next move for the oil cooler.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
thats a little high. i took a 150 mile trip today at 80 mph 188 ect 195 eot
Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Don't get too worried at 18 deg delta.. If you haven't flushed your cooling system yet, I would give it a flush with restore only and not restore+ or vc9. Then start planing your next move for the oil cooler.
Would just skip the restore + so you don't break up any scale that will plug the cooler further? I ask because I'm prepping to do a coolant flush because I'm in the same boat as the OP. My thermostat is bad because on a trip today I was seeing about 184 ECT and 205 EOT. But I was planning on flushing with both chemicals, installing my coolant filter, and running it for a few weeks with new ELC. Then in a couple weeks getting the EGR delete and oil cooler swapped. Now I'm wondering if my months of planning is incorrect...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM

As stated i see coolers coming the Ford Gold junk got one more. If you do a flush distilled water and Restore ONLY. Now the thing with restore it must get to 185-190*+ for it to work but you need to get your duck in a row
Here is a great flush and i like the QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil block drain the one at the starter is hard to get.
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
2 stroker
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM

I know I'm aware! Lol. I thought I had my ducks lined up already. I've got Fumoto valves with new rubber o rings to replace the gaskets, I've got a gallon of Restore, a gallon of Restore Plus, 4 gallons of Zerex ELC coolant, 42 gallons of distilled water, brand new coolant filter, new oil cooler in the box, EGR delete kit, intake gaskets, turbo hardware, new supply and drain tubes... You name it, I got it. But I've ready a half dozen different flush procedures and they all call for both chemicals? I've had this coolant filter for awhile now, but I wanted to wait and install it til I flushed the gold. Didn't see the point in trying to flush with that thing in the way. If I don't use the + now, when do you use it? I would think you would want to use it before you changed coolers out?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Oh, and a new Motorcraft thermostat in a box as well!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

I'm thinking of checking with my ford dealer. It had a head gaskets done back in June by the previous owner. I would think they would have replaced the oil cooler then, so it might be under a warranty.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

So I am thinking i may have just got lucky or at least postponed the oil cooler r&r. After reading TONS of threads and google searches I found a procedure for back flushing the system, in particular the oil cooler. So i bought the VG9 from Ford and started the normal flushing process last night. I flushed it about 3 times with tap water and then dumped in 2 bottles of super clean and drove it for a while. Flushed a couple more times then I popped the cap off the oil cooler and poked a hose in there and started back flushing. I dropped the lower radiator hose and just let it run off into a bucket so any sediment would just go to the bottom. I got a lot of sand out. I let this run for about an hour and a half. I then concocted this mix of vinegar, baking soda, and very hot water and pored that directly into the oil cooler and let it sit over night. This morning i got up and blew out the special mix and pored in some VG9 in the oil cooler and buttoned her back up. I then put in the rest of the VG9 in the degas and added water. I put about 45 miles on it and a lot of idling. With that trip my delta never passed 10 degrees, mostly stayed around 8. I got back home and did another full flush and then did another oil cooler flush for about an hour. I got a lot more sand out this time along with some chunky flaky stuff. I have yet to take it more than about 20 miles and that wasn't a straight trip because of slowing down for towns but with that my delta is around 6. I am still doing flushes with tap water until I finally find some good coolant, then ill do the distilled water flush and finish up. So I hope I may have bought some time since i don't have time to do a oil cooler swap for a while. I also just placed my order at diesel site for the filer system.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuesse View Post
I got my new scangauge a couple days ago and it showed me that my T-stat was not working right. So last night I popped in a new stat. Today I took a road trip to College station which was about 200 miles round trip. My ECT now holds at 190 but my EOT climbed up to 208. I was running 70mph. Iv read about a 15 degree difference but most of the problems iv read about people are seeing a lot higher EOT. Any advice?
The problem is simple.
Your truck is very smart and doesn't like Aggies!
Just stay away from College Station and don't put anything maroon in or on it....

Shawn
Geaux Tigers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.