Newbie looking for some constructive advice (long) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie looking for some constructive advice (long)

Hi folks,

My hubby and I purchased our first ever diesel truck (we always have had gas engines) about 2 months ago. Sadly, we did not realize when we made the purchase that the 6.0L was a problem child.

Anyway, we purchased a used 2005 Ford F250 6.0L Super Duty Crew Cab from a Ford dealer and a few days ago had to take it to our local Ford dealer to have a diagnosis done as we have had no cab heat while the truck idols and just have not been able to figure out what was causing that issue.

So, sadly our truck was diagnosed with "bad head gaskets" with a repair cost of over $2600.00 dollars. Also, our technician told us that the EGR Cooler had been replaced in 2008 along with the Oil Cooler and the Oil Cooler was again also replaced in 2010. I was totally shocked and needless to say the truck is no longer under any warranty.

I called the Ford dealer that we purchased our truck from in October and explained the situation to them, I suspect that the truck was sold to us with the bad head gaskets and the good news is that we are taking the truck back to the dealer on Tuesday and they are going to try and work with us on the costs associated with this repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be asking the dealer on Tuesday as far as any other concerns that they should take a look at on this truck? I am very apprehensive at this point of even keeping the truck and if they have to pull the cab and make the head gasket repair, what other things should I have them do while in the repair shop?

Any help is appreciated, I am thinking at this point of just getting the truck fixed and turning around and trying to sell if off if that is even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First of all WELCOME TO THE .ORG !!!

Sorry to hear about your luck. This is an all to common problem. Guy has a truck with bad head gaskets and trades it off then you buy it and get stuck with his repair bill.

Do as much reading as you can in the tech section See the links in my signature you will need all three at one time or another. Check out the other link (s) as well.

Have them check out the head very well for flatness and cracks. You may have to buy the studs, but now is the time to go back with ARP head studs and OEM gaskets.

You will also have to pay for some other parts ,but it is well worth your money to get them to update the STC fitting on the High Pressure Oil Pump, New stand pipes and New Dummy plugs inside the valve covers since they have the engine opened up already.

They need to do a road test and find out if the difference between the oil temp and coolant temp is over 15 deg then you need and oil cooler as well. Since you are out of warrenty see if you can swing a deal to get them to put in an EGR cooler delete when they re-assemble it. You again will have to buy the parts.

Every 6.0 needs an engine monitoring solution , I recommend the Scangauge2 it cost $170 from bullet Proof diesel and will save you it’s purchase price in the long run.

If you can do a cooling system flush with a product called restore before you take it in for the gasket job and a new oil cooler you will be way ahead. About everyone on here agrees that the ford coolant is junk and hurts more than it helps, so plan on changing the coolant over to a caterpillar EC-1 rated Extended Life Coolant. ( Read the t-shooting guide in my Sig)

After you get past this issue with head gaskets you can do about $1000 in modifications and updates to the 6.0 that will make it a very well running long lived Engine. Many have 300K+ miles on them. Read Read Read and Read some more. Good Luck

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Sca..._p/6000073.htm

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-10-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
head gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.