Replaced 6.0 Gaskets & Now No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced 6.0 Gaskets & Now No Start

I had an oil leak down on the oil cooler, the valley gasket, replaced all the gaskets and o-rings, now it won't start. It turns over, but sounds wierd, sounds like, if it were a gas engine, to be out of time, don't understand. Everything was put back exactly the way it came apart as far as I know, could use some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you emptied and cleaned the HPOP reservoir and did not refill it then you have a lot of cranking to do before you get ICP to fire the injectors . Do you have IPR and ICP data?

You can also pull the IPR and check the screen for debris. I bet its one of these two items.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced 6.0 Gaskets & Now No Start

Thanks for your reply, I did not refill, you will have to bear with me dont know all the abbreviations, HPOP, ICP, IPR, i thought maybe that not refilling could be it, will try, and the screen was cleaned out before I put back together.......
Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

High Pressure Oil Pump HPOP

Injection Control Pressure ICP

Injection Pressure Regulater IPR

That area feeds oil to the High Pressure Oil Pump. It must be surgically clean at 3000 PSI even lint can damage the IPR and its screen. Now you have a lot of air in the high pressure oil system. You will have to crank it until you get ICP. Let the starter rest between tries and Keep the batteries charged up. You might also want to Pull the IPR and check the screen for debris and damage. Please see the t-shooting guide in my signature for more info on the high pressure oil system. The tech manual in my signature shows PDFs of the 6.0 and its high Pressure oil system, it is a very worth while read. Once you get it started it will run like crap for up to a tank of fuel until all the air is worked out. GOOD LUCK

Q: What is a high pressure oil system leak.

A: On a 6.0 the fuel injectors are powered by high pressure oil in the range of 550 to 3500 psi. This oil is supplied by a high-pressure oil pump that is driven off the cam gear in the rear of the engine. The oil is transported via a network of connectors , tubes and passages that have o-rings , seals and connectors that over time will develop leaks. The main suspects are the stand pipes and dummy plugs under the valve covers inside the oil log The next problem area on 05-07 trucks is what is know as an STC or Snap To Connect fitting. This fitting Blows apart randomly and your truck will be dead were it stops. This fitting is located on the output side of the HPOP and an updated solid part is available from Ford or International. High Pressure oil leaks can also occur at the injector o-rings or from cracked branch tubes but this is rare. The way to test for a high pressure oil leak is by injecting air into the ICP sensor port and listing for the leak. Some leakage at the HPOP shaft seal is normal. Normaly high pressure oil leaks will be characterized by high IPR values and below normal ICP values as well as hot start and rough hot idle problems.

Q: What is the best way to tell is my HPOP is going bad.

A: Remove the IPR valve and LOOK for Glitter on the screen. Any sign mean you need a HPOP as well as a new IPR valve.

Q: What are normal ICP and IPR values ?

A: Cold engine low idle ICP = 806psi IPR 29%
A: Cold engine high idle ICP= 960psi IPR 33%
A: Warm engine low idle ICP= 585psi IPR 24%
A: Warm engine high idle ICP= 735psi IPR 28%
A: If your engine requires a high IRP percentage to get the same or lower ICP you might have an internal high pressure oil leak .
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Spray some starting fluid in your air cleaner tube and see if it fires. If it does then your not building up enough oil pressure to activate your injectors. Did you get all the air out of your fuel system? You may need to hook a charger to your battery's in the boost position while cranking. crank it for about 20 seconds at a time to build the oil pressure back up. Should start after 3 or 4 times.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I'd bet money you got crud down into the high pressure oil reservoir and it made it's way into the IPR. Very common thing if you're not extremely careful cleaning the high pressure oil reservoir. Pull the IPR and check the screen for damage. If the screen looks like it tried to push itself thru the IPR or the IPR screen is cracked at all then you need a new IPR. Hopefully you didn't get to much crud in the high pressure oil reservoir or there's a chance you could clog the new IPR again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.