03 6.0 Rough Start and miss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 Rough Start and miss

Hey guys I have a 03 f350 that has been giving me some issues the last couple months. especially this last few weeks now that its a little cooler out. History that i know of! I bought the truck in July with 69k on the ticker and now it has 73k. The problems have started since the overnight temps have gone down into the 40's and cooler.
When I start it for the first time everyday she runs very rough and smokes for the first 20-30 seconds. It continues to run rough for about 5-10 minutes. I have done 2 oil changes on it since I have owned it. First one was motorcraft oil 15-40 with 2 shots of rev-x no help, second oil change I did t-6 5-40 with 8oz of archoil 9000 (supposed to be the same or better than rev-x) also no improvement!
I checked the ficm one time after a 35* night and voltage never dropped below 47 on key up, crank, or running. I will test again soon! Im not sure where to start or what to look at!

Any help is appreciated! I do have a couple videos I can upload so you can see and hear what shes doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a FICM issue or the FICM could be updated to help take care of the cold start and cold running. Check your FICM voltage again just to make sure. But it is known some power is lost after this and some say it contributes to the FICMs going bad but I did update my 03 and starts way nicer when cold out now due to the inductive heating. Look into PHP for FICM programming or even contact them, they are quite knowledable on this.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

I did see a sticker on the radiator support that says that the ecm was updated but that was in 3/06.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Who knows if they updated the FICM but more then likely they did but I do believe the updates were after that date. Generally rough running cold like that comes down to a FICM issue or stiction.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM

This was this morning after It had been running for about 10 seconds!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sounds like you have the same issue im having....does it smoke at all when first starting her up?...miss and shake until it gets warmed up?...shift firmer than normal til it warms up?.....ill try and get a video of what my cold start sounds like
Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Yes that exactly describes what my truck is doing! Hopefully I can get it figured out cause it's bugging me and almost making me regret buying the truck. Almost ready to just go trade it in for a different one
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Hard to tell but do you have a cyl dropping out? Again check the FICM voltage again, that and it might not hurt to go check and see if the FICM is at the latest programming. Mine ran rough too until i updated then FICM when cold. Almost sounds like you have a cyl dropping out though. If you could run a power balance on it cold like that and maybe have an inj acting up cold.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Yes it does seem as there is one dropping out. I'll have to wait till my next day offs to check the ficm again.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM

anyone have any other ideas or things i should check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.