blowing coolant out. help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blowing coolant out. help!

ok i did the head gaskets with arp studs back in january and it also has an egr delete on it. just recently it wont keep coolant in the tank. i replaced the cap but that didnt help. would a oil cooler cause this or are the head gaskets fried again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Q: Do I have a blown head gasket?

A: Generally if there is a slow gradual pressure increases in the cooling system over 16 PSI then this points to an EGR cooler / oil cooler failure. If the pressure in the cooling system tries to head to and exceed 20psi pretty fast in a cool motor then this points to a head gasket failure. Put a Tee in one of the rubber lines going to the de-gas tank and attach the line for your gauge to that. Or buy new hose and make a test rig to use for now and then loan to all your buds later on. This is as simple as a 3/8 hose barb Tee,5 clamps, 30 PSI gauge and some 3/8 air line. Cut 2 short stubs out of the air line to span the gap between the manifold and the de-gas tank. Next since you saved the end of the air line that has a 1/4 FNPT fitting crimped to it, the free end goes to the tee and your gauge attaches to the factory crimped on FNPT fitting. You will use a gauge with a 30 full scale reading. The cap on the De-gas tank is a 16 lb relief, this is why 16 psi is the magic number. The pressure you reach is not as important as the rate of climb. The reason for the slow increase in pressure for the EGR cooler/ oil cooler failure is as follows. The oil cooler plugs up and starves the EGR cooler for coolant thus turning it into a superheated steam generator. This point source of heat and excess pressure will lead to the EGR cooler failure. In this condition some have reported the melting nipple on the de-gas tank the attaches to a rubber hose that vents steam from the EGR cooler.

The rapid rise in pressure associated with a head gasket failure is caused by combustion gasses entering the cooling system and raising the cooling system pressure until the vent on the de-gas tank cap opens and the puking starts. I think NAPA has a test strip you can use to detect combustion gasses in the coolant.

OK so with a quick check of a saturated steam chart this is what we know.

15.3 PSIg steam equals 250 degF

20 PSIg steam equals 259 degF

What this mean is that if you take a cold truck out and run the heck out of it and it builds pressure to 20PSI or more and the coolant isn’t 260 deg then it’s a safe bet that combustion gasses are entering the cooling system because you have a bad head gasket.

Water boils at 212 deg at zero PSIg. In a closed system there is a very predictable relationship between steam pressure and steam temperature. This is why cooling systems are pressurised. This way you can have 248 deg coolant that is at about 15 PSIa and you make no steam because the coolant isn’t it’s boiling temp for that pressure, it is however saturated. Now at addition of ethylene glycol raised the boiling point too but for what we are taking about we can use a table for water-based steam. If the system doesn’t get hot enough to the point it should make steam and its building pressure you know that pressure is from a different source like combustion gasses entering the cooling system. From ---- wait for it ------ BAD HEAD GASKETS.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:48 PM

If you have an EGR cooler delete I don't think your oil cooler is the problem here. What is your EOT vs ECT delta?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM

i did the arp head studs, egr delete, and sinister black onyx head gaskets around a year ago. now i have had a steady problem increase with my coolant system. i have alot of pressure in the coolant system and it causes many problems.

1. truck will not crank in the mornings. when it finaly does it blows out white smoke like crazy for a few minutes then stops.
2. before truck is cranked, but after a few tires at cranking it, it is dripping water from under the hood.
3. i have no heat coming from the heater regardless if its on low or high.
4. truck looses lots of water and has to be replaced every few days.

with those problems stated, i have no engine codes, no issues running, no power loss, nothing. just its hard to start in the morning. after it runs for awhile it wont act up again any during that day. until the next morning when it does not want to start.

i am pretty sure its the black onyx head gaskets that are the problem. what are some more signs of bad head gaskets. and do these problems sound like a bad head gasket???
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah the head gaskets are bad. Im never buying the black onyx gaskets again if they only last a year.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Dude, Quit trying to drive this truck !!! The cranking problem is because the cylinders are filling with water and hydrolocking the engine. Im not kidding you are going to ruin this engine driving it.... Drain the water out of it untill you can get it fixed.

. I 'm not trying to be harsh ,but I don't want to see you trash your truck... Go back with OEM gaskets.. You need an oil change too.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 AM

i checked my oil and see no signs of water in it. its black as can be. i have been using the block heater for the past couple weeks and it has cranked up every single time on the first try. it still smokes white after start up even in 50 degree weather. i guess its just condesation in the smoke stack. i have had no problem since i have been using the block heater. truck cranks first time and runs great. still has no heat. im guessing the heater core must be stopped up. but i do not think it is the head gaskets anymore
Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm having the same problem. Hard to start in the morning, lots of white smoke. Occasional degas bottle puking when it wants too. Never noticed the water dripping and my heat does works when my coolant level is good. I thought there was what looked like water/oil seperation on the dipstick last time I checked. Nothing signifigant, maybe it was just me. My mechanic friend said he couldn't see any but its just strange that I came across this post and there are similar syptoms.

I have injector/glowplug fault codes with my sct on a couple cyls.. Can't remember the #'s off the top of my head but I'll get them soon.

I have arp's with oem gaskets and basic welded shut pipe egr mod. No power loss, the truck runs amazing!

Drain water out of the engine? coolant? change engine oil?

Last edited by jwsland; 12-25-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85pickup4x4 View Post
i did the arp head studs, egr delete, and sinister black onyx head gaskets around a year ago. now i have had a steady problem increase with my coolant system. i have alot of pressure in the coolant system and it causes many problems.

1. truck will not crank in the mornings. when it finaly does it blows out white smoke like crazy for a few minutes then stops.It won't crank? Or it turns over goofy like it's tight? Sounds like your getting coolant in one of the cylinders.....
2. before truck is cranked, but after a few tires at cranking it, it is dripping water from under the hood. I'm not even sure what to say about this one. Where is this water coming from?!?
3. i have no heat coming from the heater regardless if its on low or high.
4. truck looses lots of water and has to be replaced every few days.If your losing coolant, and it's not leaking externally, and you have the EGR cooler deleted it can really only be one thing, head gaskets.

with those problems stated, i have no engine codes, no issues running, no power loss, nothing. just its hard to start in the morning. after it runs for awhile it wont act up again any during that day. until the next morning when it does not want to start.

i am pretty sure its the black onyx head gaskets that are the problem. what are some more signs of bad head gaskets. and do these problems sound like a bad head gasket???
All those issues sound like head gaskets to me, especially if the EGR cooler is gone. You probably do have coolant in the oil, but the new extended life coolant doesn't turn into a grey goo like the old green stuff did. If you continue to run the truck like this your going to need a lot more the just new head gaskets.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.