Cranks but wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cranks but wont start

I AM in need of some serious help. I have a 03 6.0 it will turn over and sometimes acts like it wants to start but wont. I replaced the belt tensioner about 2 weeks ago after it did this the first time because i knew it had been going out and finally had locked up truck started 3 times after that hen was at the station getting fuel and did it again crank but no start. checked fuses the only bad fuse i found was ac clutch replaced it no go, got 2 new batteries , just put a new camshaft position sensor thursday didnt work, saturday put a new starter that helped turn the motor over faster like it wanted to start, had a spare ICP so i changed that and the harness still wont start. When it was running ran fine no problems with anything. when i turn the key i can hear the injectors come on and fuel pump. Just changed oil and filter and fuel filters and cleaned air filter 1500 miles ago. im stumped im 120 miles from home and trying to get it running thank the good lord i have some good co-works on the road with me that take me to get parts and to and from work. any advice is a help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well , I hope we can get you going? Do you have any codes? Do you have anyway to tell the ICP and IPR values. Do you have access to a multi meter so you can check for FICM voltage? See the t-shooting guide in my sig as well as the NO START CHECK LIST in my sig. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrebel View Post
I AM in need of some serious help. I have a 03 6.0 it will turn over and sometimes acts like it wants to start but wont. I replaced the belt tensioner about 2 weeks ago after it did this the first time because i knew it had been going out and finally had locked up truck started 3 times after that hen was at the station getting fuel and did it again crank but no start. checked fuses the only bad fuse i found was ac clutch replaced it no go, got 2 new batteries , just put a new camshaft position sensor thursday didnt work, saturday put a new starter that helped turn the motor over faster like it wanted to start, had a spare ICP so i changed that and the harness still wont start. When it was running ran fine no problems with anything. when i turn the key i can hear the injectors come on and fuel pump. Just changed oil and filter and fuel filters and cleaned air filter 1500 miles ago. im stumped im 120 miles from home and trying to get it running thank the good lord i have some good co-works on the road with me that take me to get parts and to and from work. any advice is a help.
You say the new starter helped it crank faster. Does it seem to be cranking slowly? The reason I ask that is because you said you had an A/C comp. fuse blown and there have been cases of the A/C comp. clutch staying engaged when trying to start and that will slow the cranking speed down a lot. Have someone crank the engine while you look at the compressor from under the truck and see if the clutch is spinning with the pulley. If that isn't the issue then there are a couple other ways to go. One being an FICM issue and the other being an HPO issue.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no i never had any codes and still dont. about 2 weeks before i started having the no start problem my ac went out never realy had the chance to check it cause i been working away from home living in hotels the past 11 months its just hard to find time to go look for places to check it out cause i dont have much for tools with me but a guy i worked with gave me a ride home for thanksgiving and i got a bunch of tools i could think of i did grab a meter i had at the house but the dial dont go up to 48v it only goes 1.5v 9v and 12v and has ohmsand a few other things i dont have much experience using it but i got the book for it ill look into it and try testig he ficm. But yes thats correct when i changed the starter it started turning over faster and smoother and acted like it wanted to fire before i changed it a buddy watched as i tried cranking said the belt would turn over real slow till it got too a certain point then would speed up for a split secondand it did seem like the starter was dragging when i compared the new starter to the old one i noticed the bendix on the old one was easy to spin by hand and pull out were as the new one took more to do so but im thinking the belt tensioner going bad had something to do with the ac compressor clutch triping the fuse i still havent actualy checked the clutch itself. I had a guy try telling me today to take the piping off the intake elbow and poor a pepsi cap full of gas in there and try to crank it but i dont wanna try that cause i got enough problems i dont need any more and i just see more problems being created with that. Is there a way to test the hpop without having to tear a bunch of stuff apart. Srry im new to posting things i just normaly find what im looking for by reading previous post on here.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Use WD40. DO NOT use gas or starting fluid in a Diesel that has glow plugs. Thats a good way to break stuff. Try unplugging your ICP sensor and see if it will start. IF your ICP sensor is bad or you have slightly low ICP pressure, unplugging the sensor will set a default value and let the truck start.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the ICP sensor and harness sunday with new ones Sunday that didnt work. Im starting to lean towards something with the ac compressor clutch because i find it weird that my ac went out a week or 2 before this problem came about then when i changed the belt tensioner it would start and run normal the first three times the fourth time i went to start it it started doing the same thing its just hard to believe that an ac compressor can cause the truck not to start i figured the starter and batteries would have enough power to atleast start it.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 PM

I guess I cant see the ac compressor slowing it down enough with a new starter and batteries in the truck to the point it wont start. Your going to have to check your FICM voltage and find out what your ICP pressure is. My guess is you had a HPOP fail on you by the way it sounds, my truck was acting the same way when the pump started to go out and mine was an 03 also. Pull your IPR and see if you have any metal/glitter in the screen. If so its time for a pump and IPR valve. One other dumb thing I have seen aftermarket oil filters and caps cause no start issues too, where they break the standpipe. Would be worth checking if you dont have a motorcraft filter and cap on it. Good luck
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All the filters are motor craft and caps. I guess im gonna try to check that this weekend when i got some more time to work on it check that see if i need to get a trailer home to tear into it. I just hate to keep throwing parts at it and not fixing it its a little easier at the house to figure out whats causeing the problem got more space to work and all my tools. I apreciate all the help and input so far and any other directions to look would be greatly appriciated too.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the input got it figured out just took a flashlight and looking real close and eventualy taking the belt off to confirm it was the ac compressor the pulley isnt turning at all guess i did drag enough glad it hasnt started cause i woulda been driving a little over 2 hours on the interstate home and most likely shreded the belt and ended up on the side of the road getting it fixed next week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.