two questions and yes one is an oil cooler question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
two questions and yes one is an oil cooler question

Alright here it is, I have a 05 f-250 6.0 with a 6" lift and 37" tires it also has 62,000 miles on it. The only thing after market done to it (besides lift and tires) is a turbo back 4" exhaust and a s and b cold air intake, everything else is stock, it came like this when I bought the truck with 59,000 miles on it.

So question one is before the egr cooler went bad on it i put 3,000 miles on it and was averaging 12 mpg, even when i drove it 400 miles plus all highway I still only got 12. Is this normal? I figured that it would get like my buddys diesel which is same size lift and tires and hes getting 24. If not normal where should I be looking for something bad and/or replacing?

Second question egr cooler went bad for sure, my truck is under a warranty that covers everything including the tranny if it goes bad even with the larger tires on it (cost me another $1000 to add that on). The only thing the warranty will not cover is emission parts and replacement. So heres my problem/question, They said if the oil cooler is bad then they can charge the 8.5 hours of labor to the warranty to replacing the oil cooler if it is bad and the I will only have to pay for 1 hour of labor and the new egr cooler out of pocket. If the oil cooler isnt bad then its all out of pocket, so about a $2000 difference for my out of pocket expense for the two different outcomes. The dealership id telling me that untill they tear into it that there is no way to know if the oil cooler is also clogged/bad untill they tear into it, is this true? Is there no way to tell if the oil the cooler is bad with out tearing the top of the motor apart? I know that either way ill need to replace both since i will already be in there and its not that much more to replace the oil cooler if you are already replacing the egr cooler, But I dont want to ok the tear down to have them find out that the oil cooler isnt what the warranty company calls "bad" and then be stuck with a $3000 bill vs a $700 bill if the oil cooler is bad.

Thanks for the help in advanced and yes i have searched thru the threads but most of them say how to know when the egr cooler is bad and that I should replace the oil cooler at the same time if its bad or not. Also i can not do a delete kit for it will void my warranty. I would really like to find a ford bulletin or something that has a step by step process of how to check the oil cooler (if such a thing exists) so i can print it off and slap them in the face with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Ford View Post
Alright here it is, I have a 05 f-250 6.0 with a 6" lift and 37" tires it also has 62,000 miles on it. The only thing after market done to it (besides lift and tires) is a turbo back 4" exhaust and a s and b cold air intake, everything else is stock, it came like this when I bought the truck with 59,000 miles on it.

So question one is before the egr cooler went bad on it i put 3,000 miles on it and was averaging 12 mpg, even when i drove it 400 miles plus all highway I still only got 12. Is this normal? I figured that it would get like my buddys diesel which is same size lift and tires and hes getting 24. If not normal where should I be looking for something bad and/or replacing?

Second question egr cooler went bad for sure, my truck is under a warranty that covers everything including the tranny if it goes bad even with the larger tires on it (cost me another $1000 to add that on). The only thing the warranty will not cover is emission parts and replacement. So heres my problem/question, They said if the oil cooler is bad then they can charge the 8.5 hours of labor to the warranty to replacing the oil cooler if it is bad and the I will only have to pay for 1 hour of labor and the new egr cooler out of pocket. If the oil cooler isnt bad then its all out of pocket, so about a $2000 difference for my out of pocket expense for the two different outcomes. The dealership id telling me that untill they tear into it that there is no way to know if the oil cooler is also clogged/bad untill they tear into it, is this true? Is there no way to tell if the oil the cooler is bad with out tearing the top of the motor apart? I know that either way ill need to replace both since i will already be in there and its not that much more to replace the oil cooler if you are already replacing the egr cooler, But I dont want to ok the tear down to have them find out that the oil cooler isnt what the warranty company calls "bad" and then be stuck with a $3000 bill vs a $700 bill if the oil cooler is bad.

Thanks for the help in advanced and yes i have searched thru the threads but most of them say how to know when the egr cooler is bad and that I should replace the oil cooler at the same time if its bad or not. Also i can not do a delete kit for it will void my warranty. I would really like to find a ford bulletin or something that has a step by step process of how to check the oil cooler (if such a thing exists) so i can print it off and slap them in the face with it.
You can tell if the oil cooler is restricted by monitoring ECT(Engine Coolant Temp) and EOT(Engine OIl Temp). The temp. difference between the two should be 15 degrees or less. Ford knows this and the tech. at the dealership knows this. If they are saying there is no way to know then they aren't who you want working on it. What kind of truck is your buddies? How are you figuring your MPG?

Last edited by dhanna6powerstroke; 12-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Agreed with above post, and stuff like that is what gives some of us dealer techs a bad rep out there. Its very easy to monitor the ECT and EOT delta and tell if the oil cooler is bad, and if the tech was a descent guy at all he would just sell it to the warranty company saying that the oil cooler is plugged which caused the EGR cooler to rupture and at that point the warranty company should be paying for all of it due to the fact it wasnt the emission component that caused the failure. If you are worried about it yourself you could do the work yourself and save the money but in my mind that should all be covered under warranty PERIOD! Id be looking into and EGR cooler delete if i was you and put a new oil cooler in it.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry didnt read the part about not being able to do the delete but the TSB your looking for is 09-8-3. Its step by step and if the guy is any sort of a diesel tech he knows this TSB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mpg, oil cooler, testing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.