Hpop gone bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hpop gone bad?

Driving home from the desert, my 2005 f350 died. Engine shut off and wouldn't start back up...just crank. No codes, no nothing. Towed it to the mechanic and he is not getting any codes on his IDS, either. Was thinking electrical, pulled and checked all fuses...all good. Checked fuel pressure...good. Now he is thinking Hpop. My question is, if the Hpop is bad, shouldn't it throw a code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by charred1 View Post
Driving home from the desert, my 2005 f350 died. Engine shut off and wouldn't start back up...just crank. No codes, no nothing. Towed it to the mechanic and he is not getting any codes on his IDS, either. Was thinking electrical, pulled and checked all fuses...all good. Checked fuel pressure...good. Now he is thinking Hpop. My question is, if the Hpop is bad, shouldn't it throw a code?
I would suspect the STC fitting on the HPOP first. Has he monitored the ICP and IPR while cranking?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Also, is it common for the Hpop to go bad on a truck with 64k miles?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I would suspect the STC fitting on the HPOP first. Has he monitored the ICP and IPR while cranking?
I am not sure if he has monitored those yet. I am heading to his shop in about an hour, so I will be sure to ask him. As far as the SCT fitting, I just replaced it about 4k miles ago when we did the egr delete and new oil cooler. I guess another SCT fitting is better than a new Hpop.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I am not sure if he has monitored those yet. I am heading to his shop in about an hour, so I will be sure to ask him. As far as the SCT fitting, I just replaced it about 4k miles ago when we did the egr delete and new oil cooler. I guess another SCT fitting is better than a new Hpop.
Did you eliminate the STC fitting or install the same thing?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Also, is it common for the Hpop to go bad on a truck with 64k miles?
Nope, older style fails more then the newer style like in your truck, but regardless of the type it is still unusual to fail with such low mileage.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A good way to tell if your HPOP has problems is to remove the IPR and look at the screen. If you see gliter then you need a new HPOP and an IPR. This sounds like the STC blew out. Did YOU replace with the new style or have a shop do the work? Did you get your old part back? See the t-shooting guide in my signature for more info as well as the NO START CHECK LIST in my signature. What is your FICM voltage? And no most high pressure oil problems do not show any codes other than ICP low. Try disconnecting the ICP sensor and see if it starts.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info. FICM voltage was 48. We are getting 0 psi at the ICP when cranking. I was mistaken when I said we replaced the STC fitting, so I have the original. With that said, It was mentioned a "new style"...where would I find the new style? We pulled the IPR to look for glitter, but instead, we found the screen was caved in and it had a decent sized hole in it. Scratching our heads on that one.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Sounds like you need a pump and a IPR valve more then likely. Got an 05 E450 im working on right now and the system pressure tested good with no ICP. Removed the IPR and found it to be caved in with a hole in it. Going after the pump. You might have gotten some debris in the oil cooler reservoir that went through the IPR valve that cause the screen to cave in. It would be cheap enough to put a new IPR in see if it starts. The IPR may have gotten the debris lodged in it causing it to stick wide open possibly causing the now ICP.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa03 View Post
Sounds like you need a pump and a IPR valve more then likely. Got an 05 E450 im working on right now and the system pressure tested good with no ICP. Removed the IPR and found it to be caved in with a hole in it. Going after the pump. You might have gotten some debris in the oil cooler reservoir that went through the IPR valve that cause the screen to cave in. It would be cheap enough to put a new IPR in see if it starts. The IPR may have gotten the debris lodged in it causing it to stick wide open possibly causing the now ICP.
100% To answer your other question. The "new style" STC fitting comes in a kit from the ford parts counter with a new IPR screen and other parts with instructions. Some have reported being able to clean the IPR , rescreen it and get it working again. Think of it like a hydraulic metering valve. If the sealing surfaces inside are damaged you will need a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.