Cold Issues in 5th - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Issues in 5th

Ok, I have search high and low to find someone with the same issue I am having with no luck. I have a 05 250 6.0 PSD that is VERY cold natured. If the temp outside is below 40 I plug it up to shorten the symtoms. I am running 5W40 Rotella full syn oil with a recent oil and filters change (about 1,000 miles ago).

On to the issue. When I start it the engine seems to hunt with some missing. Once it gets to the high idle stage of the warm up it seems to smooth out. I then begin to drive it. I have a pretty long hill to pull from the start as I am going up this hill the engine still seems to hunt with high and low surges. Not very hard surges but noticable. Keep in mind the exhaust temps are to operating range but, the engine is still not there at this point (10 minute warm up at around 30 degrees with block heater on all night).

Once I make the hill and the truck shifts into overdrive the truck seems to miss. I have had several people ride with me and all seem to have adifferent opinion of what the truck is doing. This feels like the engine is missing, the transmission is sipping or the turbo is cutting out. All these would describe the condition. If I give it more throttle it just gets worse and if I keep throttling it becomes violent. I can drop completely off the throttle and get into it again (making it down shift) and the problem goes away unitl it shifts back into overdrive. It will do this until the engine begins to warm up. Any thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To me sounds like a possible FICM issue. Hard to say but it wouldnt hurt to check your FICM voltage cold like you are and make sure FICM voltage is no lower then 47 volts. If you are put a FICM in and test your batteries and charging system to make sure all is good there. Low voltage likes to take the FICM out.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM

You need to check your FICM voltage. This is a clasic sign of FICM troubles. See the t-shooting thread in my signature for more info. Check out this link and you will find a PDF with a detailed explanation of FICM operation and testing.

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Do you have any trouble codes?

What is the mileage and maint history on this truck.

Could also be injector stiction. In this case its time for new injectors ( if one or more is bad ) or a product called REV-X

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
You need to check your FICM voltage. This is a clasic sign of FICM troubles. See the t-shooting thread in my signature for more info. Check out this link and you will find a PDF with a detailed explanation of FICM operation and testing.

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Do you have any trouble codes?

What is the mileage and maint history on this truck.

Could also be injector stiction. In this case its time for new injectors ( if one or more is bad ) or a product called REV-X
I have not had the codes checked yet. I don't have a scanner.

Mileage = 146k

I purchased at 120k. Since then the maint is by the book down to changing al the fliuds including tranmission about 10k miles ago.

Rev x oil or fuel additive???
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM

REV-X is an oil additive that works pretty good for injector stiction, but this sounds a lot like a FICM problem so I would look there first. I would also suggest you should consider buying a Scangauge2 from Bullet Proof diesel as it is preprogramed for a 6.0 . This tool will tell you a LOT about you truck that a scan tool from autozone won't... I LOVE MINE. for $170 you can't go wrong. I am 100% sure you will save the cost of a scangauge2 in less than a year, when you consider t-shooting time spent and wrong parts replaced as well as catching small problems soon before they turn into expensive nightmares. I don't sell them ,but I use one and I think every 6.0 should have rolled off the factory floor with one installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.