Cold Start Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Start Problems

Hey all, been a member for a while, but don't post much.

Anyways, not too long ago, my father gave me his old '05 6.0 PSD and it has run perfectly fine, until the cold weather arrived. I knew he had problems getting his truck started when it got really cold, and sometimes it just wouldn't start at all! Anyways, these are the problems I had today:

-When I try to start the truck, it cranks and cranks but can't fire up. In order to start it, I had to pump the accelerator a few times, then hold it all the way down and finally it would start up, but really choppily and I had to keep giving it gas for a bit. When it gets REALLY cold, it won't even start up!

The thing is, it's not even that cold where I live, it hit 26 degrees coldest last night, and it's about 36 right now during the day. I did some research, and I read about some reflash, FICM and what not, but some of the jargon just got me frustrated.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM

We switched oil in our 7.3 that wouldn't start in the cold to T6 Rotella 5W-40 and it fires right up now in the cold. Couldn't believe the difference in cold starts, it was like a different truck.

Might be worth a shot before you go tearing into the motor.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's true, it could be the weight of the truck is not suited for the colder weather. I'll give that a shot, it can use an oil change anyways, thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check the voltage on the FICM. I'll almost guarantee that's your problem.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
That's true, it could be the weight of the truck is not suited for the colder weather. I'll give that a shot, it can use an oil change anyways, thanks!
you've got more issues than oil dude.

you could change your oil and drop a couple bottles of Rev-X in it and see some improvement, but you have injector issues, and it they don't go away with new oil weight or rev-x. plug it in at night, and that will help it start too.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Follow this link for a PDF that shows what you need to do to test and maybe fix your FICM. You may only need to do a little soldering. See the t-shooting guide in my signature for more info.

This looks a lot like FICM problems.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just completed the FICM repair as outlined by DrQuad. The before crank voltage was 27.4 V after the repair the crank and run voltage is a steady 48. The repair was not to difficult and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to attempted it. Follow the instructions exactly. I did not use hair dryer but very carefully cut and pried the amber material out. The only issue I had was the micro size the R0075 resisters. Not only were they tiny but were very close together. I picked up 300 power reading glasses and a new 20 Watt solder iron with a tiny angled tip which allowed me to get in there with out bridging the resistors together. It all worked out fine. Thank You to all who posted on this issue. I did it and it cost $30 not $6-8 hundred.

Steve

Last edited by shans; 12-26-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added FICM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.