Rough at all RPM, sounds almost like a dead miss. Need help BAD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough at all RPM, sounds almost like a dead miss. Need help BAD

Anyone have some input on what sounds alot like a "dead miss"? I'm not sure where to start throwing parts. Seems the more I read the more possibilites show themselves. Engine just started running rough suddenly. '04 6.0 w/121k on it. New turbo and EGR valve in '06. New EGR cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets and head bolts in '08. All new injectors in '09, and FICM in '10. Where to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

If its a dead miss at idle pretty much gotta be injectors, wiring to the injectors, or compression. If the miss is intermittent its most likely not compression.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I had an injector connector that liked to get loose. When it was disconnected, it was immediate rough engine. Check the wiring to the injectors and FICM, and the connectors too.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are these injectors that prone to failure? They're only 2 years old and i change my fuel filters at every oil change. Any possibility of something electronic causing a rough running condition?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave769 View Post
Are these injectors that prone to failure? They're only 2 years old and i change my fuel filters at every oil change. Any possibility of something electronic causing a rough running condition?
that's what I was attempting to say in the post above. Check the wiring between the FICM and injector connectors, and of course the connectors
Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness View Post
that's what I was attempting to say in the post above. Check the wiring between the FICM and injector connectors, and of course the connectors
Yep most likely gonna be a wiring issue... It is possible for the injectors to fail prematurely, most of the time on the oil side of the injector. Alot of guys recommend RevX to try to free up a stuck spool valve.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I see everything you have replaced so far, but don't see any components associated with the HPO system. Have you checked the ICP sensor and wire pigtail. ICP failure is common on the early models where it was located under the turbo and subject to high heat. I have had two sensors fail so far. I now carry an extra in the glove box. Late 04 builds relocated the ICP to the right valve cover. You can unplug the ICP which will make the computer go to the default setting for high pressure oil, and your issues may disappear. Doesn't hurt to try. My ICP failures made the truck run like it was "missing".

Pull out the IPR and check the screen for blockage or damage. A blocked screen will prevent the valve from properly regulating the oil pressure to the injectors. I had this issue as well. Have you air pressure tested the HPOP and listened for leaks? I recently completed work on an 04 that lacked power and had intermittent shuddering. The issue was solved by replacing the failing D ring on top of the HPOP which seals inside the cover to maintain pressure to the ICP and IPR.

As you probable already know, recheck the FICM connections, injector connectors, and FICM voltages for main power and logical power.

Overall, not too time consuming, and no additional money spent "throwing parts" at the unknown.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Everyone had good advice on things to check. I would start with checking codes, if ICP is out of whack or if you do have a dead miss it should have logged codes for it. It won't necessarily always log codes but if you truly have a dead miss it should have.

Does it smoke at all when it's missing? If It's not smoking and seems like it's running on 7 cylinders then it's more then likely an electrical issue, like shorted wiring or something with the injector solenoids.

Where did you get the injectors from? If they were some generic rebuilds then I bet you have an issue with one of them. There are a lot of people that just replace a few parts on injectors and resell them. I see it all the time.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its a wiring issue on the injector side it should def set a code. Like the others said check your ICP and when its missing if you wanted to you could unplug one injector at a time till you find which cylinder is bad. My HPOP went out on mine and caused only CYL 4 to drop which baffled me but it is what it is. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.