06 No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 No start

Hi, I have a 2006 6.0 160k that wont start after sitting for a few hours. It started a few days ago the truck would not start it cranks and even turns over but only runs for a second or two, I scanned for codes and had one for the crank position sensor pop up, but after clearing the codes the truck started and ran real ruff for a few minutes then everything was fine. Started it a few more times after letting it sit for a hour an everything seemed perfect. Seems to run and start fine after it warms up. Went out this morning and the same problem lots of cranking and starting for a second or two then nothing. No codes have come back, there is a little white smoke when the truck decides to turn over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 03:30 AM

You answered your own question ......
my crank sensor use to only act up when it rained
Change the sensor I'm sure that's your problem
Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am not an expert in these issues, but I have seen where the crank and cam sensors codes will pop up after extended periods of cranking. That may not be your problem.

I would suspect the FICM right off, and it is very easy to check. Make sure you check it stone cold, and especially when the engine is cranking.

What type of code scanner are you using? There is a chance it may not report all of the codes stored.

MikeB
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

FICM would be a good guess but I have personally had issues on my old mans 05 6.0 where the crank sensor was bad and would start cold but not hot. I have seen plenty of cam and crank sensors go bad and cause no starts or just run rough. The sensor is cheap enough and not all that hard to replace.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa03 View Post
FICM would be a good guess but I have personally had issues on my old mans 05 6.0 where the crank sensor was bad and would start cold but not hot. I have seen plenty of cam and crank sensors go bad and cause no starts or just run rough. The sensor is cheap enough and not all that hard to replace.
That's exactly the opposite of what his does.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDMikeB View Post
I am not an expert in these issues, but I have seen where the crank and cam sensors codes will pop up after extended periods of cranking. That may not be your problem.

I would suspect the FICM right off, and it is very easy to check. Make sure you check it stone cold, and especially when the engine is cranking.

What type of code scanner are you using? There is a chance it may not report all of the codes stored.

MikeB
100%. Test your FICM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM

He also states that the truck does start cold but rough. Theres so many things that could cause this but depending on which CKP code he does have it could mean the diff between a FICM and CKP. Also from what ive normally seen when the trucks crank for too long it usually sets both the CKP and CMP codes. Could be either one and like I said the FICM is a good guess but I wouldnt throw out the possiblitly of it being a CKP. Also he says when the truck does decide to turnover? So sometimes the truck doesnt turn over or do you mean start?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

So i tested the FICM and it test 48v with the key on then if you crank it it drops to 20v. The battery voltage also drops to about 11v could this still be a FICM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke23 View Post
So i tested the FICM and it test 48v with the key on then if you crank it it drops to 20v. The battery voltage also drops to about 11v could this still be a FICM.
FICM is junk.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
FICM is junk.
I AGREE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.