05 6.0 turbo cleaning??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 turbo cleaning???

i am in the process of replacing my oil cooler and installing a egr delete on my 2005 f250 super duty 6.0 and my buddy said since i have the turbo off i should pull it apart and clean it... i was wondering how to pull it apart what to clean in it and what to use to clean it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a link to the process. Hope this helps

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mark the case were you separate it as well as an index mark on the clamp that holds it together. This is also a great time to spend $60 and update the STC fitting on the HPOP. That will give you some cheap peace of mind. Up dating the STC should only add about an hour to the total job. Chances are the factory STC fitting will blow apart at some point and it will leave you walking home when it does.

Here is a link to the work I did on my 05.

No longer a 6.0 virgin. New STC, Cleaned turbo, welded EGR cooler closed. PIC's

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-04-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I got a solution kit to replace my oil cooler cause my truck was pouring white smoke which I was told ment water in the exhaust cause all my coolant would vanish... I also got a sinister egr delete I live in a small town in Oregon and they dont check emissions so I don't have to worry bout that... Just haven trouble working on the truck not have a shop to pull or lift the cab so I have to make my hands think small its been quite a pain but im taken my time cause im new to diesel mechanics.. its good to have friends hahaha thanks for your help guys any tips or tricks to maken things go a little smoother????
Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
when you mark the turbo clamp make sure you make a mark for the direction of the clamp also. This is so if by chance the turbo leaks a little after reassembly the clamp can be loosened and retightened on the truck.

If you are doing an oil cooler then the intake will have to come off. Best thing I've found is to take the FICM harness all the way out of the vehicle while being very careful not to damage the injector connectors poking out of the cylinder heads. With the intake and EGR cooler out of the way the high pressure pump cover will come right off with little effort. Just take out the two 8mm heat shield bolts attached to the rear of the cover

As for the oil cooler, meticulously clean the engine valley around the cooler cover so as not to get any dirt and debri down into the high pressure pump reservoir. You cannot get anything down in there or you risk damaging the IPR. It helps to have a suction gun of some sort to remove the oil under the cooler and clean anything out before pulling the old cooler screen.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Make sure to pour about a qt of oil back in the valley. Don't freak out if it is a real bear to get started and then runs like crap after it finaly does start. It can take 1/4 tank of fuel some times. I let mine run on high idel for about 30 min in the drive and it was fine. You will have to get the air out of the HP oil system and it can take some doing. Best to remove the FICM relay and crank untill you get ICP over 500 PSI.

Do Not forget to refill the valley with a qt of oil to prime the HPOP. You MUST keep that area under and around the oil cooler super clean, not even lint can be left inside. At 3000 psi of ICP pressure ANYTHING left inside will damage your IPR screen and valve. This is the most comon cause of complications after this type of repair.

Make sure the turbo is 100% lined up before you tighten the clamps to the pipes. These clamps WILL NOT pull it into alignment. If you don't get it right befor the clamps are put on it will leak ans you will have to do it over.

GOOD LUCK , post pics for us....
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys for all the help and advice!!!! got the thing running last night after two twelve hour days she runs like a champ have full boost oil pressure everything went beautifully... i dont have many pics but ill post some tonight after i get the, loaded on the computer.... i think it all went well my buddy and i only went threw a thirty rack... i just found out through all this process my dad went to uti years ago for diesel mechanics so he was a good help... again thank you guys for the advice always good to have some help out there when ur a first timer.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.