ECT & EOT delta, turbocharger issues while covered by Ford ESP* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT & EOT delta, turbocharger issues while covered by Ford ESP*

First post to the forum. *I must start out by thanking everyone who has posted here as I learned so much here before purchasing an '05 Excursion.

I did tons of research in the forums and knew the possible weakness' going in. *I spent several months looking for the best possible truck

I found one in Homestead Florida that came into a Chevy dealership in exchange for a Cadillac. *It has 73k on the clock, garage kept, babied, engine bay looked like it just came off the showroom floor. *The tow hitch was not even scratched! *It had the original sticker, covers on everything including the dash and had a service plan using full synthetic it's whole life. *Oasis was clean.

I found out that it was a one owner truck originally sold at the Ford dealership next door.

I purchased the Excursion and drove it to the original dealership that sold her new.

The service manager recognized the truck when I pulled in and told me it had had an extended service plan with them. Fuel and oil filters changed every 3k and everything else done when it should.

I told them to do a full inspection. *All checked out. *2 different employees offered to buy it off me while I waited. I got the service history and that had no dramas or warnings on it.

I took the advice of many on this forum. Installed an Insight CTS.

I also purchased the Ford ESP premiumcare 3/36000

So. *Last night was my first good run in the truck with the Insight. *I did the ECT- EOT test on flat road at 65 mph. After 25 minutes, the results were;
ECT 188
EOT 217 for a delta of 29!

I did a second run this morning and had the following result;
ECT 192
EOT 221 for the same delta of 29!

An inspection of the coolant degas bottle revealed a little white residue splashed on the outside, coolant looked clean, needed 1/2 pint water but could have been that low already. *Engine oil was clean and at the correct level.

I removed the EGR valve. *It was chocked with carbon which I cleaned off and re installed. *There is no sign of dampness inside the valve body.

This may be another issue entirely. *The turbo has a "whine" that I had not heard on any of the other Excursions I test drove. *The whine was most pronounced when I let off the throttle. *The boost on the first test was 5psi @65 mph. Max I saw was 11 psi on hard acceleration.

From what I have read. *I believe I have a clogged oil cooler and I believe I have caught it before the EGR cooler fails? *Does the forum concur?

Is anything up with the turbo?

Is the thermostat on cooling circuit opening too low?

Most importantly. *What should my strategy be with my local dealership (not the original dealership)? *
How do I find out if the diesel tech and the service rep know what they are doing and are familiar with the 6.0's "issues" (Marone Ford Fort Lauderdale)? *They have a large truck and commercial department. *I don't know about how many diesels they deal with though.

I am guessing that they are going to insist that I keep running Ford gold coolant while I have the warranty?

Will they install the newer OEM oil cooler and is it ANY better than the original?

What else can I get them to do under warranty while they are under the hood? *Blue spring? STC fitting?

Are there any concerns with the turbo? *I gave the truck 2 hard runs this afternoon and I saw boost pressures in the high 20's psi.

This forums help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks*

"Thecapn"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow you covered a lot of ground on that one. WELCOME TO THE .ORG !!

Yes you oil cooler is shot.

You Need to flush the cooling system before you take it in.

Turbo looks to be OK

Try to get them to R&R the EGR cooler too.

The Blue spring & STC fitting are not warranty issues unless they have failed., however they might cut you a deal on doing them now if you ask nice.

If you must run the Ford Gold coolant make sure it gets changed at least once a year. The main problem is that it breaks down over time. Keep it changed and you will be OK until the warrenty is over.

Get a coolant filter.

The new cooler will be the same as the old one.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the welcome! Sorry it was a long post but I wanted all my findings in one post.

" You Need to flush the cooling system before you take it in.*"

For what purpose? *To try and get rid of the gunk in the system so I do not clog the new oil cooler up? *Will they not do this? *Don't they drain the system down or are you talking about the major flush and cleaning routine mentioned often on this site?

" Turbo looks to be OK"
Great!

" Try to get them to R&R the EGR cooler too."
R&R?*

" The Blue spring & STC fitting are not warranty issues unless they have failed., however they might cut you a deal on doing them now if you ask nice."
I'll do my best!

" If you must run the Ford Gold coolant make sure it gets changed at least once a year. The main problem is that it breaks down over time. Keep it changed and you will be OK until the warrenty is over.*"
In conjunction with a flush and clean?

" Get a coolant filter.*"
Any reccomendations?

Thanks for the input I'll keep you posted. I'd like to wait before I take it in. *Any harm running the Ex for a couple of weeks until I have time to deal with the dealership?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapn View Post
Thanks for the welcome! Sorry it was a long post but I wanted all my findings in one post.

" You Need to flush the cooling system before you take it in.*"

For what purpose? *To try and get rid of the gunk in the system so I do not clog the new oil cooler up? *Will they not do this? *Don't they drain the system down or are you talking about the major flush and cleaning routine mentioned often on this site?

" Turbo looks to be OK"
Great!

" Try to get them to R&R the EGR cooler too."
R&R?*

" The Blue spring & STC fitting are not warranty issues unless they have failed., however they might cut you a deal on doing them now if you ask nice."
I'll do my best!

" If you must run the Ford Gold coolant make sure it gets changed at least once a year. The main problem is that it breaks down over time. Keep it changed and you will be OK until the warrenty is over.*"
In conjunction with a flush and clean?

" Get a coolant filter.*"
Any reccomendations?

Thanks for the input I'll keep you posted. I'd like to wait before I take it in. *Any harm running the Ex for a couple of weeks until I have time to deal with the dealership?
Flushing it after you have the cooler changed will plug the brand new one- not good so yes flush it prior

the fuel pressure regulator is easy to change do it yourself

sinister in my opinion makes the nicest kit 129.00 on ebay.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 PM

R&R mean Repair & Replace

Yes do a major flush now with Restore. to try and get rid of the gunk in the system so you do not clog the new oil cooler up. The only person that will care enough to make sure the job is done right is YOU!!

Yes, If it were mine I would flush and fill yearly, if you are forced to use the gold.

If there is any sign or EGR cooler failure make sure they clean the turbo. Water blowing out the exhaust tends to rust the vanes and unison ring. You don't want to have turbo problems a week or 2 after getting every thing else fixed.

As far as running it. That up to you. I would add that the more you drive it the better the chances the EGR cooler or oil cooler will fail. This will lead to a lot of bad mojo, think head gaskets or a cooling system full of oil. There is a good chance it will be fine , but why risk it unless you have no choice.

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for everyone's help!

I took the EX to the local dealership today. Agreed that I had warranty and will fix it! (phew). I asked if I bought the Bullitproof diesel EGR that wold they install that one instead? Was told "no way" it would instantly void my 3 year ford ESP!

I will need to drop it off with them, get it "officially" diagnosed and the. They would order the parts and I could bring it back to have the work done. They said that the will flush her out good. So I should let them do this, then once I get it back. Flush it again.

In the meantime I will start saving up for the day the warranty runs out and do all the usual mods!

Does this sound like the sensible rout to go? I have the insight to monitor in the meantime.

Or should I buy the BPD EGR unit, put it in the back of the EX and see if I can get hold of the mechanic that will work on the truck directly and ask him to put the BPD in and leave the cord one in the back and I can sell it on?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM

The dealer may offer BPD products...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sadly, no.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quick update.

Spent the day doing the coolant flush with restore and VG-9. Filed it up with ford gold goolant to keep my warranty intact. Here are a few observations.

It's very hard to get the truck up to temperature when running the truck with the with flushing agent in it and the thermostat out. I had to cover the radiator with cardboard to achieve this. makes the rinses with fresh and distilled easier and quicker.

I was imagining seeing lumps of ford gold "jello" in the restore flush but no. Does the restore dissolve the coolant solids?

I had a fair amount of what looked like sand and some rusty looking scale.

Changing the thermostat was a good idea, I get 192 degrees on my insight quickly and consistently now. So it's off to the dealership on Monday to get the Ex booked in for oil cooler replacement.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Further Update.

Thanks to the Edge gauges. I got the oil cooler problem fixed early enough that the EGR was pressure tested and found to still be good. So my engine has not seen any water vapor yet! got them to replace the STC fitting and upgrade to the blue spring while they were in there. I have ordered the Performance Machine coolant filter setup, it's currently on backorder.
While the Stealership had the truck they fixed the tie rod ends and ball joints under warranty too!

I get the truck back next week.

I will report new ECT/EOT deltas then

Thanks for everyones advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
delta, ect, edge insight, eot, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.