FICM and injector problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation FICM and injector problems

Recently I had a FICM failure. The truck set high circuit codes for #'s 2,3,5,7. I think all of these are on the middle plug of the FICM. I had another FICM that I got from a friend, so I installed it and took it to the dealer to reflash the whole system. Currently the truck is still running a little rough. I had a custom tune with an SCT tuner before all of this happened, somehow my tuner went out and had to send it back for repairs. So I put on my Bullydog to see if it would help since I do have a powermax turbo.

I pulled and cleaned the EGR valve because I was getting the 0274 overboost code, but I watched the boost gauge and it never got above 20. I was hoping it would solve my problem. I went for a test drive stopped and pulled codes and then I got a 0275. This is a #5 contribution problem. So I cleared this and drove back home and checked them one more time. Now I'm back to the 0274 overboost code.

I am really confused and am at my wits end here. Can anyone please help me and give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like its time to clean the turbo. Read the links.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-05.php

No longer a 6.0 virgin. New STC, Cleaned turbo, welded EGR cooler closed. PIC's

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...shooting-guide-

Q: How do I know if my turbo is bad.

A: A turbocharger is a very simple device basically 2 windmills on one shaft. A lot of “ bad turbo’s” on 6.0’s are simply dirty and can be restored to proper working order in about 4 hours and a little elbow grease. The exception is if the bearings are bad or if it has more than about .004 in of end play or if you can move the shaft side to side enough to cause it to rub the housing. If you can spin it by hand and it seams to move freely then there is a good chance it’s fine. Most turbo problems are bad bearings , cracks in pressurized components like hoses, boots , intercooler , or excess carbon and soot.
From time to time a VGT solenoid will fail ,but this is pretty rare. One more thing is to inspect for damaged compressor blades. The major cause fo this is aftermarket air intakes. The best thing you can do to keep your turbo happy for a long time is keep it cool and lubed and clean. This means stick with the OEM air filter unless you need to make more than 500HP.

Q: Turbo charger spools up slowly

A: VGT solenoid bad or unplugged, Low boost due to leaking CAC boots or tubes, Exhaust Leak to turbo turbo vanes are coked up with rust and carbon.

Q: Turbo charger builds to much boost

A: vanes are coked up with rust and carbon, hot tune , stuck or faulty VGT solenoid.

Q: Low Boost levels

A: VGT solenoid bad or unplugged, Low boost due to leaking CAC boots or tubes, CAC tank cracked Exhaust Leak to turbo turbo vanes are coked up with rust and carbon.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just to make sure your tune isn't causing your problem. You might try going back to the stock tune. I hope you didn't stack a tune on top of a tune etc... GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
0274, 0275, ficm, overboost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.