04 f350 6.0 broken ebp tube - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 f350 6.0 broken ebp tube

I have a 2004 f350 with a 6.0 turbo diesel. The truck has aprox 66k miles on it.

On my driver side exhaust manifold there is a small tube that im told goes to the ebp sensor. The manifold is very rusty and the tube broke off right at the manifold. The dealer says the manifold must be replaced and that a new tube can not simply just be put in. they said the part the tube threads on to is broken right off. They told me this will be at least a $1k job including a new manifold, tube, labor, etc.. They also said there is a good chance some other tubes will break while trying to do it and also need to be replaced. The mechanic also told me its possible he may have to replace the passenger side manifold as well as there is a tube that runs between them and that may break while removing the one side... The mechanics suggestion was actually to not fix it and either drive it as it is or get rid of the truck before more stuff broke. He was not a fan of the 6.0 at all.

The whole thing sound weird to me.. Any suggestions? Seems like you should be able to drill out and/or retap the hole where that tube was and put a new fitting in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes it all sounds very weird to me. For one it sounds like they don't even want to get involved because this shouldn't be a $1000 repair. If the mechanic is not a fan of the 6.0 that tells me he doesn't want to work on it

There are no other tubes on the left manifold or any tubes at all on the right manifold.

The left manifold should only be about $185 list price. At most this would be a 3 hour job
Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have to agree. I have changed out several and without pulling the manifold.

Take the driver side tire and wheel well cover of and ya can even get out the broken off piece with an easy-out and if necessary drill out useing a right angle drill.

It ain't easy but can be done.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also what would happen if i didnt fix it?
I went in complaining about surging that happens under load and there were no codes and they couldnt reproduce the problem. They found this broken tube and said maybe this was causing the problem.. $58 diagnostic fee wasted as far as i can tell
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 AM

The surging under load could be a clogged up egr valve or possibly a turbo starting to get clogged with soot.... You can remove the egr valve and clean it fairly easily and see if that solves your problem

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a photo. They said the exh manifold was too rusty/fragile and the way the tube is broken off it cant be replaced. Tough to get to but i do have a right angle air drill..
Attached Thumbnails
04 f350 6.0 broken ebp tube-tube.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you definitely need a manifold, tube and hardware. that looks a little scary but it will come apart with a little patience

remember EBP is a primary input to the PCM for controls like VGT, EGR and Boost. any variation in that reading can cause drivability issues
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 AM

After looking at that picture I can understand. That thing looks like it will fracture with a hard sneeze. Even replaceing the manifold you are looking at probably having quite a few bolts break off and have to be drilled out. Give your self plenty of time for the job yer gonna be there awhile if things start breaking. May the mechanic gods smile on you.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im thinking of sticking the tube in the hole and putting a mound of epoxy puty around it as a temp fix.. Who knows, might work..
I once had a truck that had a rusted thru oil pan that leaked its oil all over the ground. Wire brushed it and spread epoxy putty on the outside only of the pan from under the truck. Lasted for years till i sold the truck.
Wonder if there is a high temp one that would work there. I usually use PC-7 but its only rated for 200 degrees.

edit: these guys have one good to 2500F http://www.empinc.com/productsdiv.html#HTPmetal
or this from permatex good for 2000f http://www.permatex.com/products/mot...r_compound.htm

Last edited by f350jeff; 12-04-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.