White/blue smoke, rough engine, hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White/blue smoke, rough engine, hard start

I have a 2006 I just purchased that is running rough like its missing a cylinder and puffs whitish/slightly bluish smoke. (I bought it for a good deal) I checked out the FICM 48v key on, 48v while starting and 48v while revving. So I think that is okay.

I ordered an auto enguity unit and ran some diags on it. While the engine is running I disable one cylinder at a time. 1,2,4,5,6,8 when disabled all make the engine stumble so they are contributing. 3 and 7 disabled resulted in no change in the engine performance. So I suspect those 2 cylinders to have a bad injector.

I pulled #3 injector and it looks brand new. The tip is not burned. Is it possible for it to go bad internally while looking perfect on the outside? How can I test it?

Thanks guys

I took it ou
Attached Thumbnails
White/blue smoke, rough engine, hard start-injector3a.jpg   White/blue smoke, rough engine, hard start-injector3b.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Short answer is yes. How many miles? What's the service history like? One option is to try running Rev-X through it to see if that helps clean up the injectors. Rev-X goes into the Oil and cleans up the oil actuated components of the injectors.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM

114k miles. I dont know the history. Everything looks clean and brand new under the valve covers. I wonder if I can send out the two suspect injectors somewhere to be tested or cleaned?

Any thoughts on why when the two cylinders are disabled there is no change in the way it runs but all the other ones do.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post
114k miles. I dont know the history. Everything looks clean and brand new under the valve covers. I wonder if I can send out the two suspect injectors somewhere to be tested or cleaned?

Any thoughts on why when the two cylinders are disabled there is no change in the way it runs but all the other ones do.
Valve train problems? Check to make sure the push rods on those cyl are not bent. 6.0 push rods are the weak link and it seams like they will bend and save other expensive parts from damage. Push rods cost about $11 ea.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Can push rods be removed easily on this motor?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 PM

BTW some more info.

I believe the motor has a leaking EGR cooler. I removed the EGR valve and saw it was damp at the bottom. I cleaned the EGR valve and unplugged it so it would stay shut..it still was missing.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post
Can push rods be removed easily on this motor?

Yes, now that you have the valve covers off. Remove the valve hardware on top. Pull out the push rods one at a time and roll them on a good flat surface. If they are bent you will be able to tell.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Well come to find out there is a hole in the piston. Someone had installed 03-04 glow plugs in cylinders 3 & 7 and contacted the piston and put a hole in it. I pressurized the cylinder and hear the air blowing out the crank case.

while pressurizing a good cylinder moved the piston and released a blast of air when removing the air tool.

FML x10000

Motor is coming out
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Update: Melted piston on #3

The piston wall doesn't look scored. What it looks like is the aluminum from the piston deposited to the cylinder wall. Once I pull it out hopefully closer inspection shows no scored and I can rehone it to clean off the deposit
Attached Thumbnails
White/blue smoke, rough engine, hard start-cylinder3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.