Maby cold start issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maby cold start issues

This is the first 6.0 ive been around so maby im make a deal out of nothing. Anyways in the mornings it roughly 25 degrees, after the glow plug ligh go's off and its cranken on its own, the dang thing chugs like a 50 series john deere, for about 5-6 seconds. While its chugging, the oil pressure gauge is normal, so im i experiencing, injector, or ficm issues? sticking injectors? Does great on fuel milage, ficm says its new this las feb. Batteries are one month old and are motorcraft. Oil is archer supreme 15w40 extra life, which has arond 200 miles, w a ford filter. I dont have a block heater cord on mine, so i need to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlemon View Post
This is the first 6.0 ive been around so maby im make a deal out of nothing. Anyways in the mornings it roughly 25 degrees, after the glow plug ligh go's off and its cranken on its own, the dang thing chugs like a 50 series john deere, for about 5-6 seconds. While its chugging, the oil pressure gauge is normal, so im i experiencing, injector, or ficm issues? sticking injectors? Does great on fuel milage, ficm says its new this las feb. Batteries are one month old and are motorcraft. Oil is archer supreme 15w40 extra life, which has arond 200 miles, w a ford filter. I dont have a block heater cord on mine, so i need to get one.
I'd say injector stiction. Change your oil to a synthetic and get a couple bottles of Rev-X oil additive.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IRONLEMON. That's a great screen name!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So the dealer called today. Told me the scoup on the truck, anyways they updated the pcm, and now it starts witout chugging upon cold startup. Does that sound right? or are they delaying injector changing?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
So the dealer called today. Told me the scoup on the truck, anyways they updated the pcm, and now it starts witout chugging upon cold startup. Does that sound right? or are they delaying injector changing?
The newer update probably has the inductive heating strategy which will help the stiction some but it won't cure it. Also, that heating strategy has been known to shorten the life of the FICM. Get the Rev-X and put in. Doubt you will have to replace injectors.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was plannen on send the ficm to ficmrepair.com so they can do, well whatever they do. $190 as preventative measures is cheaper then replacing injectors. Thats my thinking. Revx will be ordered. I just need the truck back, ive been waiting for them to fix the stuff right or they will buy the truck back. She said both actuators needed replacement to get the 4x4 to work along with both hubs. Also the replaced the junk ford dust seals on the front axle and two others.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM

I know the thoughts are that the reprogram on the FICM takes them out which it may add to the cause but generally its the batteries we see that are SO run down and when it starts to heat the injectors the batteries get too weak and cant support the voltage the FICM needs. This is my opinion and a few others in the shop and we feel alot of these issues come down to maint! We have quite a few trucks that come in and get maintained the way they should and rarely have issues occur. Goodluck and sounds like the reprogram fixed it and ive always been a firm believer in dont fix what isnt broken....
Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They had just put in both batteries brand new. From what i read, the motocraft batteries are one of the best, for this truck. I know people will argue all day, but they were put in at the dealer so there not commen out till they fail. 3yr free replacement, is a good warr, for a engine that averages 2ys per set, so i read. I run quite a few optima's here on the farm, and i can say they are not the battery they were 15yrs ago. For the price get something better. Ive read may very good things about odyssey batteries.

Ive learned in life: you get what you pay for.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
IRONLEMON. That's a great screen name!!
yeah, I like that, a good one
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Ive learned in life: you get what you pay for.
Very true!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.