FLUSH NOW OR AFTER STUDDING? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FLUSH NOW OR AFTER STUDDING?

HEY GUYS-I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I'VE READ A LOT OF GOOD STUFF ON HERE.I HAVE A 2005 350 KING RANCH SRW.I THINK MY EGR COOLER CRAPPED OUT-BLOWING HEAVY WHITE-BLUE SMOKE.WE ARE GOING TO LIFT THE CAB,REPLACE HG'S AND STUDS,RCD EGR DELETE,NEW OIL COOLER,BANJO'S,BLUE SPRING KIT,UPDATED DUMMY PLUGS,STC FITTING,TURBO FEED AND RETURN LINES.I KNOW WE SHOULD FLUSH COOLANT AND REPLACE WITH A GOOD ELC,BUT SHOULD I TAKE A CHANCE AND DO FLUSH PROCEDURE NOW WITH THE ENGINE BLOWING ALL THIS SMOKE OR WILL IT DAMAGE THINGS MORE?THANKS-KEN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow that’s a tough call. Since you are doing head studs anyway I would take a chance on it and flush now. IMHO. You might ADD a turbo cleaning to your list. I am sure by now the unison ring is getting pretty rusted. Good Luck. WELCOME TO THE .ORG !!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

THANKS FOR GETTING BACK SO QUICK,HAM RADIO MAN.I WILL BE CHECKING MY TURBO AND GETTING A POWERMAX IF MINE'S BAD.STUPID QUESTION,THOUGH-WHAT'S THE CCV MOD. STAND FOR AND SHOULD I BE DOING IT ALSO?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 AM

The CCV mod is were you plug off the crank case vent that dumps oil vapor from the valve cover to the turbo inlet. Then I turned the elbow that is on the valve cover 90 deg and attached 8 feet of 1 inch clear tubing to it. I tied the tubing to the frame along the driver side to keep the oil vapor smell out of the cab. The reason for doing this mod it that all that oil vapor over time will collect inside and foul your inter-cooler. This oil will also lead to the failure rubber boots that connects the turbo pipes to everything else. Good luck with your truck you seam to be off to a good start. Just so you know typing in all caps is considered YELLING on most forums along with being hard to read.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM

seems to me like the truck should be sitting until all the work is complete...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if possible don't run the engine when it is ingesting coolant. not only you run the risk of hydrolock and possibly base engine damage but all that moisture in the combustion chamber is NOT good for your fuel injectors....... running the engine will give you small amounts of coolant in the oil.

water/coolant is not a lubricant. it doesn't belong anywhere near oil
Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
if possible don't run the engine when it is ingesting coolant. not only you run the risk of hydrolock and possibly base engine damage but all that moisture in the combustion chamber is NOT good for your fuel injectors....... some of which will get into the engine oil also
Yes, for sure plan on an oil change. This is a hard judgement call. If it was my truck I would chance it if it wasn't burning a ton of water. If it was someone elses truck I was working one, NO WAY!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Smile

Thanks for all the feedback-I'm planning on starting the rebuild soon and until then the truck is going to sit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.