03 6.0 hard to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 03 6.0 hard to start

i have an 03 6.0 that is giving me starting troubles. When the truck sits for a few days when its warm outside it takes 10-15 seconds of cranking before it will start and most of the time it puffs out white smoke when it is turning over after it has warmed up it will restart without issue. When it is colder out 50 degrees or less it does the same thing every morning but starts fine after it has ran for a while. When is gets cold out 30 degrees or less it takes a lot of cranking before it will start if it will start and it pours white smoke from the exhaust the whole time it is turning over. If i plug the block heater in then the truck starts just fine until it is really cold 0 degrees or less but it will still start even then. I took it to a mechanic and he basically told me he didn't know what was wrong. i have a feeling it may be the glow plug relay because it looks like it was messed with at one time? any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea def get a scanner on it and run for codes, more then likely youll get a p0683 and if so its the module if no codes unplug the glowplug harness at the module/relay and using a test light with the lead hooked to power test all 8 glowplugs, you should get your test light to light on 4 of the pins on each connector. I dont remember the pinout of each off the top of my head but I can get it if need be.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm having the exact problem I scanned mine with sct and cystic both showed #2 & 55 glow plugs didn't think just 2 would make it so hard.. haven't got to change them yet
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Mine was doin the same thing unless I plugged it in. Had the glow plugs changed ( found out I had 3 bad ones ) and it was 28 degrees this morning and it started without being plugged in, no problems.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

^^^^^ where did you get that light bar on the front or did you make it
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Something to consider when testing glow plugs if you are haveing symptoms of glow plug problems and all plugs test good but ya still have a hard start. Remember a glow plug can test good electrically but if it is heavily carboned up the carbon will absorb most of the heat generated and will not reach the cylinder. When you pull and check the plug it'self if it has a lot of carbon you can try cleaning them before buying new ones.
I maintain a fleet of 500 pieces of equipment, we routinely clean them once a year. just before winter.

This has cut our plug replacement costs by a third.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the advice i will test for codes and test the pins if none of that works i will ask for more help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.