P0272 #4 contribution fault after HGs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0272 #4 contribution fault after HGs

05 6.0, Just did HGs and ARPs, new oil cooler RCDs EGR delete, updated STC fitting, Got it all back together, thing fired up after about about 2 min of cranking, (normal), but the idle never clearned up like it should, plugged in the Solus and got a P0272 #4 contribution balance fault, Im fairly confident i installed everything correctly as ive got a pretty descent record thus far, not going to rule anything out though.

the injectors were never removed from the head nor disturbed in any way, the heads were removed with extreme care, the tips all looked good, and re-installed with the new parts. now the thing bucks like a bronco and throws the code. any ideas??

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Dumb question but are you sure the inj is plugged in all the way? More then likely it is or it would be throwing a inj circuit code. Ive had a few trucks that after putting all back together it would miss after initial start. Let it set for a few mins and restart and it would run fine, seems like sometimes they need to set to bleed air outta the HPO system. Other then that make sure you didnt cut an o-ring when you reinstalled the injectors, also make sure the pushrod is sitting in right. Not sure if you can do a relative compression test but if you can with the solus run one and check to see if the cyl is low. Fuel pressure is good? After all that could be a possible bad inj, maybe got some moisture or dirt in it while setting? One thing that could be done is swap an inj with another one to see if it follows the cyl but is kind of a lot of work and i would recommend resealing the injs if doing that.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM

That seems to be the most common cause is actually bad connection at the valve cover; tomo I suppose ill pull the FICM and check connections along with the injector plug, I may pull the valve cover as well just to make sure all the push rods seated correctly, the truck smokes BAD too, almost acts as if the intake valevs are not opening on there own but as if the vacuum from the piston is sucking air past them with a loud whisp noise, and with too little air fuel ratio simply dumping the raw fuel out with a thick cloud, hope there's no damage though!

I've got this truck plus 2 more 6.0s and a 7.3 in line to get some major performance upgrades (or supporting mods) however you want to look at it, but this is not how I wanted to start off! Ill post tomo the results, any other ideas please let me know!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
#4 is easy enough to get to, pull your valve cover and have a look at your pushrods/ rockers on that cyl

any popping through the intake by chance?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
#4 is easy enough to get to, pull your valve cover and have a look at your pushrods/ rockers on that cyl

any popping through the intake by chance?
Yes indeed!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:08 AM

Youve gotta have a pushrod off or a rocker off, especially if its popping back through the intake.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM

don't know, after work last night I pulled the cover off quick and everything looks in place, the rods are all nicly seated, the rockers are in place and snug, back to the board...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Run a compression test if you can.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Ok dug a little sdeeper, pulled the oil rail and #4 exhasut side rocker and rod were tight as can be while the rest were slightly loose, pulled the rocker and the pushrod was clearly bent, badly bent, now I wanna know why???????
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

More then likely pushrod wasnt seated on the lifter right. Ive done this myself actually and its a Homer Simpson DOH moment but it happens. Toss a new pushrod in there and fire it back up. All should be well. If you can look down the hole with a light you might see the guide in the HG is messed up cuz it was seated on the lifter right and the pushrod messed it up a little but shouldnt hurt anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.