No Turbo Boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Turbo Boost

I have a 2003 F350 6.0L completely stock with 115k miles on it with no upgrades and no tuner. I have had intermittent turbo boost. Now no turbo boost and no power. Finally died and i changed the fuel pump, no help. I brought it to the dealership and the tech changed the FCIM PCM and # 5 injector and it ran not so good. So, I brought it back and he said " a wire was loose on the FCIM and run 2 cans of seafoam for 2 tanks.". The truck barely made it home... So I tried to fix it myself, I'm not a mechanic (cabinet maker). We Did EGR Delete, no up pipe, new oil cooler, removed turbo and cleaned inside out, ring, vanes, applied a thin coat of never-sieze. Everything looked good inside with minor pitting on ring. Replace gaskets and o-rings that comes with the intake kit. However it ran the same after all that.
I brought it to a different dealership who wanted to change the turbo and said i had a code P0046.
The first dealership charged 2700$ and it didn't fix it completely , and this dealership wanted 2200$ to change the turbo. I decided to give up on the dealerships cause i didn't trust them.
I brought it to a Local mechanic . He said the problem was in my transmission.... go figure!. I know a good transmission mechanic and he said the problem was with the fan. He pulled all the codes on it and gave them to me.
here they are.

P0730
P2700
P0046
P0102
P0113
P0403
P01408
P0528
P0603

I know some are these are because of the EGR Delete. the Egr valve is unplugged not removed. Inside the valve it has never been greasy only sooty and dry. Removed VGT Solenoid and hooked 12 volts directly to it ( the cabinet makers way!)and it actuated quickly , wasn't sluggish. So I suspected the wire from the PCM. I Removed and replaced it. Still no power. I got a bright idea.... I ran wires from the VGT Solenoid and battery 12 volts inside cab. I went down the road and all i could get was 40 Mph. Then i Shot the juice to it! and it bogged down for an instant. I disconnected the wires and it got tons of power! then died back down after a couple of seconds. I could maintain boost by tapping the wires on and off !!!. I'm still at a loss to what is actually wrong . If you can figure it out then Ill buy the beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo View Post
I have a 2003 F350 6.0L completely stock with 115k miles on it with no upgrades and no tuner. I have had intermittent turbo boost. Now no turbo boost and no power. Finally died and i changed the fuel pump, no help. I brought it to the dealership and the tech changed the FCIM PCM and # 5 injector and it ran not so good. So, I brought it back and he said " a wire was loose on the FCIM and run 2 cans of seafoam for 2 tanks.". The truck barely made it home... So I tried to fix it myself, I'm not a mechanic (cabinet maker). We Did EGR Delete, no up pipe, new oil cooler, removed turbo and cleaned inside out, ring, vanes, applied a thin coat of never-sieze. Everything looked good inside with minor pitting on ring. Replace gaskets and o-rings that comes with the intake kit. However it ran the same after all that.
I brought it to a different dealership who wanted to change the turbo and said i had a code P0046.
The first dealership charged 2700$ and it didn't fix it completely , and this dealership wanted 2200$ to change the turbo. I decided to give up on the dealerships cause i didn't trust them.
I brought it to a Local mechanic . He said the problem was in my transmission.... go figure!. I know a good transmission mechanic and he said the problem was with the fan. He pulled all the codes on it and gave them to me.
here they are.

P0730
P2700
P0046
P0102
P0113
P0403
P01408
P0528
P0603

I know some are these are because of the EGR Delete. the Egr valve is unplugged not removed. Inside the valve it has never been greasy only sooty and dry. Removed VGT Solenoid and hooked 12 volts directly to it ( the cabinet makers way!)and it actuated quickly , wasn't sluggish. So I suspected the wire from the PCM. I Removed and replaced it. Still no power. I got a bright idea.... I ran wires from the VGT Solenoid and battery 12 volts inside cab. I went down the road and all i could get was 40 Mph. Then i Shot the juice to it! and it bogged down for an instant. I disconnected the wires and it got tons of power! then died back down after a couple of seconds. I could maintain boost by tapping the wires on and off !!!. I'm still at a loss to what is actually wrong . If you can figure it out then Ill buy the beer.
P0730: This code is definitely transmission related. There is no clear description of a single component failure associated with this code. It requires that you access the PCM to determine which PID set the code. (if I am reading the manual correctly)

P2700: Coast clutch (Transmission) stuck on or off

P0046: Turbo cahrger boost control solenoid circuit range/performance. This might have been set due to you applying 12 volts to the VGT.

P0102: MAF flow A circuit low.
Causes for this code:
MAF sensor disconnected
MAF circuit open to PCM
VPWR open to MAF sensor
PWR GND open to MAF sensor
MAF RTN circuit open to PCM
MAF circuit shorted to GND
Intake air leak (near MAF sensor)
A closed throttle indication (Throttle position sensor system)Damaged MAF sensor
If it is unplugged, plug it in. If it is plugged in replace it.

P0113: Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor 1 circuit high (part of the MAF by the way)

P0403: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Control Circuit
If you deleted the egr cooler, why do you not have the valve plugged in? It has nothing to control and can cause some issues. Plug it in.

P1408: EGR flow out of self-test range (non-mil).
This is another code generated by unplugging the EGR valve.

P0528: Fan speed sensor circuit no signal
Check the plug to the fan on the drivers side near the thermostat housing. Make sure it is plugged in all the way. Also check the wires all the way to the fan. The fan eats them on occasion....

P0603: Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
This code indicated that the powertrain control module (PCM) has experienced an internal memory concern. However, there are external items that can cause this DTC.
Possible causes:
Reprogramming
Battery terminal corrosion
KAPWR to PCM interrupt/open
Loose battery connection

If the KAPWR (keep alive power) is interrupted to the PCM because of a battery or PCM disconnect, this DTC can be generated pn the first power-up.
Since you indicate that this has indeed occurred, disregard this code.

Here is what I would do.
First, plug in the egr valve.
Then, buy a new MAF and replace it.
Check the rubber hose coming off the intake manifold leading to the MAP sensor for pinholes, cracking or signs of wear. Replace if necessary. Using an allen wrench (so you can't drop it in the intake manifold) poke the brass nipple on the intake to be sure that it is not clogged with soot.
Near your thermostat housing, you will see a sensor sitting on top of a stainless steel tube. Carefully remove the sensor and clean it with carb cleaner. Get a long piece of tie-wire and stick it down into that tube. The tube only goes to the exhaust manifold, so you can't hurt anything. Just poke it through to make sure it is not clogged. Give it a couple of shots of brake cleaner or carb cleaner.
Next, remove the battery terminals from both sides (+ and -) of BOTH batteries. Cross the battery connectors + to - and keep them that way for 10 minutes with the headlights on. This will clear the KAM.
After the 10 minutes has passed, uncross the cables and reconnect the batteries.
Undo your self-diagnostic wiring to the VGT.
Start the truck and see what happens. This should address most of the issues.
Then, you will need something to get any new (or repeat) codes, or have your friend scan them for you.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No Turbo Boost

NYC F-350,
Thank you for the info it is very much appreciated.
Im on it, will update.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM

NYC is correct! I had a 6 ohhh for 4 years till I traded up for the 7.3L. But any ways....So the vane soloniod, still could be damaged even if it works under 12vdc, and the MAP(just like NYC said) sensor, wires to, or hose, and nipple to the sensor being cracked is a great cause for your symtoms. That would be my first look.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh I'm certain NYC is right, weekend before I can put his info to use.
But something you said made me remember that i had seen a split around the MAF (if im looking at the right thing). On top of black air intake duct rtight ?, anyways this duct mounts with a couple of bolts from the rear into brass fitting with a mount bolted to the ficm, and I saw a split exposing the brass. Is this the brass fitting ishould be worried about or checking ? I didn't think in was a leak at the time. Thanks for posting, and your help.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No, unless it's cracked all the way thru the intake piping which is doubtful. I think your talking about the mounting bracket that holds the air intake piping in place. It's not uncommon for the molded nut inserts in that piece of piping to crack. I have never seen one crack/break bad enough to actually cause a leak in the intake piping.

Just go thru the steps NYC gave you and see what you come up with. He's right on track with the advice he gave you.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

By the way, the MAF sensor is the flat sensor in the air intake tubing, just past the air filter itself.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Valvejob? Did you jave anymore input so this subject ? I'm for anything that may help.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Thats the MAF for sure on the air duct.
But look at the MAP sensor, the plug and wiring and hose connections to the MAP(on co-pilot side of truck is the location),...thats what tells the VVT(by sensing boost and pressure) where to place the vanes via the vane soloniod. If that Sensor is bad that equals no actuation of the vane soloniod and no boost and power trust me I know(try driving 20 miles without it like me). It also (I think!) helps tell the FICM how much fuel to ''dump'' in the engine by comparing it to the boost(air) the engine is getting.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Justinmix,Thank you i will,sorry the typos on last post. I appreciate the help everyone just
Being able to ask and get good answers (unlike my dealers) gives confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
turbo no boost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.