FICM help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM help

I have an 03 6.0 and lately I have been getting the tell tale signs of a bad FICM. Stinky, smokey start ups and poor fuel economy. Usually once a week the truck takes forever to turn over and start up. This morning it did not want to start at all. I plugged the truck in, took my daughter to skating, came home and the truck fired up like nothing happened. I have a line on a ford factory one from the same make and year of my truck. I don't think it has been upgraded and the guy selling it wasn't sure either. I can get it for around 200 dollars. I am no electronics guru so repairing my own is not really an option. Do you folks believe this is a good buy or not? thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The slow rollover to start tells me you have bad/weak batteries. You need to have them charged and load tested. If even one is bad change both as a set.

The 6.0 voltage and amps are critical for proper operation. Less than 10v, the FICM and PCM won't work properly. Continued use at low voltages can harm both the FICM and the PCM.

Check out NYC.s posts, in his signature there are links to how to test the FICM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Agreed, I would check batteries and FICM voltage before just assuming it is the FICM. You could also just have an issue with the glow plug module causing hard start issues.

$200 for the FICM isn't horrible, but you have no way of knowing if it's good either. And you should get the truck programmed to match the FICM and PCM programming. Plus if it's the early 7 terminal style FICM it's not as desirable as the later 4 terminal style. If the FICM really is screwed up think I'd just bite the bullet and get a complete new one.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
information regurgitator

Hmm, well, I think I had to remove the FICM test from the links in the signature line to make room for a worthy cause.
CLICK HERE for a good write up on how to do it.
Listen to what was mentioned before about your batteries. Low voltage from the batteries can fry the FICM, and if you test the FICM with bad batteries you will not get a good result. That may cause you to purchase a FICM when your underlying issue is a bad battery, or your new FICM can get fried from your old batteries.
As previously mentioned, take the batteries out of the truck and run them down to your local auto parts store. Ask them to load test them for you. It is a free test. If either test marginal or fails, replace as a set.
When you get the batteries home, charge them up to a 100% charge. Even if you bought new batteries, charge them since they do not come off the shelf fully charged.
Before installing the batteries check the cables over and check/clean the connectors. After doing all of the above, then you should check your FICM voltage.
For between $195 to $325 (depending on what length warranty you want), you can have your FICM repaired. ficmrepair.com, there are also other places that sell upgraded FICM's that raise the voltage output to 58 volts (stock is 48 volts). There are also places that can install a "performance flash" on the FICM as well. You have a ton of options.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Well I bought the FICM and it seems to start and run better. The batteries are like 4 months old and I cleaned everything in the motor. I just did the oil cooler and EGR delete so everything is pretty spotless and clean.All that is left to do is pull the turbo off and clean the unison ring. I am going to call a diesel performance shop in the city here and see if they can reflash my new FICM and see how that goes. Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
information regurgitator

You bought a NEW ficm from FORD? That would be the only circumstance that would require the ficm to be flashed.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just had my FICM replaced and i also did the glow plugs and both harness. It starts so much better after sitting all night unplugged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.