Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 cranks, fires, but won't start.

22K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Swisstank 
#1 ·
so my truck wont start. it will fire up then shut down after a second or two. once the engine is hot it starts and runs fine. sometimes it wont even fire at all. injectors were all changed, oil and fuel filters changed. not too familiar with these engines, but very good with gas engines of all sizes. understand diesels, but not much experience with them. what should i be testing, and how?
no codes

#2 ·
i would test your FICM if your search it there are good write ups on how to check the proper voltage output. mine went last winter and had similar symptoms

#3 ·
The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) is located under the degas bottle on the driver side valve cover it has a small plate on it with 2 screws, if you remove that plate you should see 4 screw heads. IIRC, the closest screw to the firewall should read 48 volts, if it is less then the module will need to be repaired or replaced (I had mine repaired with a 2 yr warranty for $160) From Ford they are like $500.

If you check it yourself do not touch your meter lead to the case or you will let out the factory smoke, then you will be replacing the module regardless.

#5 ·
thanks,will try that first thing in the morning.
just tried to start it again, and if i keep the pedal on the floor, it will stay running, but sounds as though its on one or two cylinders. as soon as i let off, it dies. didn't let it warm up that way to see if would would clear and run properly, but will in the morning.

#7 ·
I'd be willing to bet it's the FICM.

#8 ·
so we tested the ficm, sure we did it right, but here's the results. koeo- 24 dropping to 20, then a second or two after the glow plug light went out, right up to 48. this happens every time we tried it. cranking- dropped to 18 immediately, no start, occasional fire.
is this normal when they go bad?
batteries seem good, not load tested other than as much loaad as possible on the truck, but cranked fine. also tested while on a charger, and connections are clean.
anything else to test before replaceing the ficm?

#9 ·
Yes, that is a typical scenario when they go bad. Replace, or resolder the power supply and all will be right in the world.

#10 ·
When you were cranking it, and it finally fire then die immediately after "loping" a few times before falling on its face? When it did was it smokey almost as if it was flooded? My '04 stranded me today doing that. I had it towed to a mechanic but havent heard from them yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.