Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP! BLOWN HEAD GASKET?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  PowerstrokeTech82787 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 f-250 that i believe the heads are blown on. when i crank it after it has sat overnight it has white smoke come out for about 30 seconds. but not everyday and started doing it after it's got colder it had more smoke this morning than ever and it got down to 33 last nigh. i kinda doubt temp has anything to do with it but thought i would put that on here also. within the past week i've noticed a whistling noise on deceleration also.

#4 ·
is it blowing out of the bottle or just disappearing?

I have seen EGR coolers leak only after a cold soak. If have anywhere to try it you can park nose down one night and pull your EGR valve the next morning

#6 ·
Funny you mention that whistling noise. I couldnt figure out for the life of me where it was coming from. I thought it was the turbo. Took it to a shop the other day...They said it was compressed air leaking out through the resivor cap. Obviously compressed "air" means combustion inside the cooling system...head gaskets are shot. Did it get any harder to start recently since you noticed the white smoke. Lack of combustion can lead to a rough start.

#9 ·
hard start runs rough til warm usually an injector or two sticking. head gaskets you can make a gauge up to use to diagnose failed head gaskets pretty easy

Brass T
4 brass nipples
5 or 6 feet of 3/8ths vacuum hose
pressure gauge
drill bit
valve stem for a big rig
hose clamps
torch and brazing rod if you dont want to tap the hole your going to drill into the T and a die to thread the valve stem

Your going to drill the hole in the center of the brass T install 3 3/8ths nipples onto the T attach the coolant hose thats going from the radiator to the degas bottle use the factory constant tension clamp. cut a 3 or 4 inch section of vacuum hose clamp it to the other end of the T and to the bottle. The 3rd one your going to run the remaining vacuum hose to the top nipple going to the gauge with the 4th nipple threaded to the pressure gauge. It is crucial that the valve stem is not leaking otherwise it can not function and will leak coolant everywhere.

Pressureize the cooalnt system with the cap on. once it hits 16 psi dont put any more air to it, the cap will vent off excessive pressure but it can get damaged. Now run the vacuum hose up to the drivers side corner of the hood do not pinch it off just let the hood sit on the first latch, run it with the gauge into the drivers side window. Go down the road and hold it wide open beat the living hell out of it find hills to hold it wide open up. If the coolant pressure rises higher than 16psi 19+ is a sign of head gaskets.

This is because of the turbo pressure leaking past failed head gaskets. I have seen pressures as high as 24 26 psi matching MGP pressure under full boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.