Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Major coolant leak.... once in awhile

9K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  sargar 
#1 ·
I have an 03 6.0 with 132k miles. About every 2-4 weeks, my truck will leak a ton of coolant after sitting overnight. It usually takes 12+ hours after being parked for it to start to leak, and when it does, it pours about 1-2 quarts worth of coolant out then stops. It is dripping/running off of the passenger rear side of the engine and looks to be possibly coming from the head area or on top of the engine, I really can't tell. It just seems very odd to me that it is not a steady leak or a slow leak. It happens once in awhile, and leaks a lot in a short time when the engine is already cold. Any ideas of what it could be?

#4 ·
Look down here:

Is yours still an orange hose? If so, it is probably the problem. The hose seals with an o-ring under the turbo stand. I think the hose when hot will swell and seal. When cold the opposite happens. Look and feel under that hose. They were real weak hoses. And, no you don't have to remove the turbo.

Here is a thread on this hose replacement.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/148563-coolant-leak-starter.html

#5 ·
im haveing the same issue i just noticed it and i have a leak detection dye in mine that shows up even after it dries under uv light and mine is running down ontop my starter but like crossfire said its once and a while and no its not from my egr delete coolant hose so now any takers

#6 ·
There are only so many places the coolant can leak.
The cross over lines on the firewall is one. Any of the other rubber hoses, the gasket on the cover over the coolant feed port for the egr cooler, the rubber "donut" o-ring under the intake, from the heater core, from the metal tube on the passenger side that goes from the waterpump to the rubber hose (and its o-ring). the degas bottle...the radiator...I'm sure I might have missed one or two, and they are all failry easy to check.
But as far as that back corner, it is either the cross-over tube, the egr cooler hose (or delete hose), the cover gaskets, the heater core, or the valve in the heater core hose.

#7 ·
just read a post from a year ago guy had the same issue coolant hose from oil cooler im juts gonna have to crawl my big butt under there again and look around better 7 12 hour work days dont leave much day light but im just gonna check all the hoses again thanks

#9 ·
i like my avatar it reminds me of how i use to be lol anyhow found the little bastard leak dye and a uv light = dam good thing i recomend it :woot:egr delete hose but guess who put the hose clamp on so that it cant be gotten to yeah turbo mount is in the way my delete isnt a $300 one its just like the liberator one instead of blue hose its black heater hose so but yeha i found it and why wont ford sell that little hose just by itself :dunno:

#11 ·
No, no, no your dealer lies. I have gotten the hose by itself and in an intake mounting kit as recently as about 2 weeks ago. I'll get part numbers for you tomorrow unless some of the dealer guys post up sooner. Once you hold this little, very expensive (for what it is) hose in your hand you'll hate the fact that your truck had heater hose used in it's place.

#13 ·
It may come in your delete but I have only seen either black heater hose or blue silicone heater hose, both of which require clamps. I have gotten the Ford hose in a Bullet Proof Diesel kit before.

#16 ·
yeah thats nuts like they think its gonna last forever or they know taht the cooler is **** and by time you need a hose you will need a cooler

#17 ·
As posted above, the blue hose only is 4C4Z-8592-AA

The hose also comes in a gasket kit with the o-ring for the front of the intake, egr exhaust gaskets, etc. 3C3Z-9433-AB. You just need hose only part number.

#19 ·
Glad to help. Changing that hose is easy. I read where you had a clamp with the nut turned the wrong way. That may not be a problem as the egr cooler/delete is a smooth pipe. You may be able to twist and pull and get it to come off without loosening the clamp, or at least twist it so that you can get to the clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.