Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No power and truck whistles!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Chiller 
#1 ·
So i have a 06 with the 6.0 obviously. This thing acts like it has hit a brick wall. I only have 285's on it and it is stock except for the exhaust. When the truck is cold it has no power at all! When it is all warmed up i can be doing anywhere from 40-50 Mph Stomp the fuel and the truck only goes up to about 2300 rpm and it just climbs up from there ever so slow! Also when i let off the fuel or i am towing the truck whistles. Like when the turbo is spooling down. it just started doing that whistle about when the truck lost all its power. I did two a trailer a few weekends ago. It had no power at all. the trailer only weighed about 3500-4000 pounds, you would have thought i was towing a cat D6 dozer. The truck would not go over 70 no matter what i did, it just didnt have the power. It was heating up all the time to the point where it was blowing antifreeze because of the presssure i would assume because otherwise it never overheats or blows antifreeze. I did take off one day last week right to the floor. the truck took off like it had all its power. Then all of a sudden it lost its power mid way through a shift point. So I have not clue what this things doing. This is my 4th powerstroke with the 6.0 and this thing sucks! thanks for everyones time!

#2 ·
Ok... first things first. Stop driving your truck!

It's not blowing antifreeze because it's overheating it's blowing antifreeze because your EGR cooler is probably shot to hell. If you keep trying to drive it you're probably going to blow your head gaskets if you haven't already. That's what it sounds like to me at least.

Do you not have a monitoring solution (gauges, Edge CTS / CS, etc)? If so, what were your temp deltas?

Are you throwing any engine codes?

Are you blowing any white smoke? If so, your EGR cooler is compeltely shot and you're pumping coolant in to the combution chambers and could probably have blown head gaskets.

Is there coolant / coolant residue around the degass cap (coolant overflow bottle)? If so, this leads to further support a blown EGR cooler.

#3 ·
The truck does not always overheat. only when i was twoing that trailer. There is no residue around the cap. The truck is throwing no codes at all. the only other thing the truck does is sometimes it will randomly shut off or starts to hickup like its going to shut off. Its not a loosing power shut off like its the fuel..it just shuts off like i turned the key off. Whats a EGR cost to replace i have seen there are aftermarket ones. Is it still around 3 grand to replace?

#6 ·
I was thinking dirty EGR valve, that will kill power along with fuel economy until you started talking about the coolant overflow. I'm with the other guys, it sounds like your EGR is shot to hell. Take out your EGR valve to see how dirty it is. If it has a dark charcoal carbon build up on it then it needs to be replaced. If it looks like it has been steamed cleaned then that is another sign that something is wrong with the EGR itself.

#7 ·
Here is my feedback:
Your maintenance on your truck is what sucks. Now you have an failed egr cooler and a plugged oil cooler. You continued to drive the truck and push it hard, and that resulted in popping the head gaskets. Go ahead and blame the engine for your lack of understanding what your truck was telling you when it first started to show steam out of the tailpipe. The real problem sits behind the steering wheel.
Go buy a Dodge.

#8 ·
well let me give you my opinion...first off im not a frigin retard! I am very mechanicly inclined and work on equipment all the time. I am just trying to get others info on this issue. I assumed from the beginning it was the egr. The truck has never smoked steam from the tail pipe! read the post. Second off the head gaskets are not blown, and third of all it only overheated a few times when i was towing, it does not do it all the time. This isnt my first stroker. A dodge is up your ally!

#10 ·
Also does that whistling occur when the truck is not under load? My truck whistles all the time...My head gaskets are non exsistent...combustion from the cylinders is pressuirizing my coolant system. The whistle is the air escaping through the degas bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.