Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P2285 code help for N3WB

13K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  WarChild 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone Im new to both the diesel world and the form. I love them both so far even with my issue. I just got an 04 F350 Lariat FX4 longbed with 173,000 miles on it is an awesome truck so far, everything seems stock (except my buddie said I have an after market oil filter cap and the ecm could be flashed). I got it from a person who bought it at an auction so i its most likely ether a repo or a bankruptcy thing. Anyhow, I have P2285 code first thing in the morning seems to be worse when its cooler out, Im in Florida so that means like below 70*....lol, only happens first thing in the morning and the truck does a galloping kind of thing while Im letting it warm up ( about 10 muniets before I drive it). The rest of the day it wont have any issues. Im doing a coolant flush and oil change (with REV-X) this weekend becouse the cooland looks nasty and I have no clue what oil has been in it so Im getting Rotella T 5W40, new oil and fule filters. I also started using Stanadyne in my fuel. I know the code is Injector Control Pressure sensor circut low so I guess Im going to change the sensor as I see they tend to go bad. Any other ideas? I might add I have no smoke and no loss of coolant I dont know what else to add.

#2 ·
Anyone ???

#4 · (Edited)
It's the B model made in 9/25/2003 I believe. I think its got to be under the turbo becouse I dont have the kind of luck that would make it easy. Thanks for the responce.

#5 ·
Truck turned off on me while I was backing up today. Same CEL code came up. Got my buddy to print out my Oasis report too that was cool.

#6 ·
Anyone got a part number for my Injector Control Pressure sensor? Build date 9/25/2003

#7 ·
Changed my oil for the first time today with Rotella T6 5W40 and 2 bottles of Rev-X. Found out that the damn oil filter that was in it was the wrong size. Does anyone know what all issues that could cause?

#8 ·
The wrong oil filter usually means the wrong oil filter cap is on the truck. Believe it or not, it can cause the truck to shut off. Try a Motorcraft filter and a Ford cap. See if that fixes your other issue.
A new ICP sensor will run you about a hundred bucks. Try Tousley Ford (LINK)

The issue with the wrong oil filter is that any other filter brand besides Ford (or Raycor, since they make them for Ford) is that they will not engage a valve on the bottom of the filter housing. By not engaging it properly, it opens a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the filter housing that drains straight to your oil pan.

#9 ·
Its wierd but I dont have the P2285 issue anymore .......BUT I now have a surging issue with no CEL. Its almost like as if I was pushing on and then letting off the throttle. It doesnt do it when I give it WOT but like if Im holding the throttle going 35-45mph it an on off feeling. Its really disapointing to fix one issue and then have a whole different issue thats worse than the original.

#10 ·
Ok, got the code again and truck died while I was sitting at a stop light. It's undrivable at this point with the surging issue. I don't know where to go from here. Any input would be appreciated. Could it be trash in the IPR or a bad ICP and how would I check those not to mention where are they?

#11 ·
you need an ICP sensor and connector. if you look past the turbo on the drivers side you can see the sensor sticking out of the hpop cover. sometimes you can verify it's soaked with oil without even pulling the connector

#12 ·
is there a way to confirm this other than it having oi on it becouse it drovefine the rest of the day. seems the truck has a mind of its own...lol

#13 ·
????? Bump ?????

#14 ·
it is definately the ICP. I had the exact same problems with mine. It will be behind the turbo and your gonna need a 4 foot extension and a cut off 27mm wrench no bigger than the size of your hand to get it out. there is a thread on here about it. it is a pain to get out but those were my exact problems and the same code. put that ICP in and you should be fine.

#15 ·
Yea I bought a ICP off ebay for $59 so at least I got it cheaper than NAPA, they said like almost $300. Gotta love the interwebs...lol

#16 ·
If the connector is wet/frayed, consider replacing it as well. Both ford and international sell the pigtail.

#17 ·
I just ordered one anyways cant hurt it have it on hand just in case.

#18 ·
There are threads out there about this, but I will chime in my experience. I have dont my ICP sensor twice in the last 6 months, got a bad one from Ford. Anyway, take a 1 1/16 cheap autozone wrench and cut it down with a grinder to 3.5 inch's long roughly. This might take a couple of tries, you might want to start around 4 inches, including the closed end or the wrench. Disconnect the pigtail.

I tape a 3/8's wrench, open end up, to several extensions and position the cut wrench inside the open end of the 3/8's wrench. With the 1 1/16 wrench on the sensor, and the I use a small 5 lb sledge to tap up and loosen the sensor. Remove from under the engine, reaching up preferably when cool. Install in reverse.

The pigtail is another problem entirely. I had a friend change that out for me because I soldier like crap!!! An easy way to verify if this is your problem is to unplug the ICP sensor and see if your problem goes away. With the pigtail unplugged it defaults to a set reading and should idle normal. If you still experience surging with the sensor disconnected, it might not be your problem.

Judging from your posting I also believe that your sensor and/or pig tail are toast for the ICP. This is common to our early 03 engines. Hope this helps.

#19 · (Edited)
Well, I have to thank everyone here. I did my ICP sensor today only took me about 3 hours and I dont know much about motors. Actually had all the tools in my toolbox, even the snapon socket. I have to tell you I did not enjoy it very much and it had to be a sight to se a 250lb man laying on top of a motor...lol If I can do it anyone can do it.

Fixed all my no throttle issues, rough idle issues, and my issue with what I thought was the VGT. Truck is running great and I finally get to engoy it. Next is my collant flush on Tue and then my coolant filter when that comes in later this week along with my font end leveling kit.

#20 ·
Congrats on getting the truck fixed and running good. We all know what it is like to have issues that seem to linger on for a while. The ICP sensor is a pain in the a** for a smaller person, let alone someone 250, that must have been a sight. All my initial work was done witht the assistance of .pdf files. They make all the difference in the world. It was quite a sight in my garage with multiple laptops with different pdf's open on each one. What ever it takes to get the job done!

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.