Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in coolant. Coolant in oil. Already replaced oil cooler!

835 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  camshaft2005 
#1 · (Edited)
See what had happened was... i was TDY and the wife was driving. She said it it started shaking but she was almost home so i told her to get it in the drive way. Upon inspection I found that the oil and the coolant decided to get married and become a family inside the oil pan and the degas bottle. I immediately assumed the oil cooler failed. So i changed it.
Just finished that up tonight. Started the truck and let it warm up. Once it was up to temp I took it for a drive, it ran good. Back in the driveway I open the hood to find oil spewing from the degas bottle. I had to leave for work so that's where I'm at now.
I am not sure what the odds are that a new ford oil cooler would be bad? AK is getting too cold to be doing this stuff outside.

Any help, advice, experiences, etc. all appreciated.

Here are my specs: 05 f350, 150k miles, "Looney Tune," we have only had the truck for about a year. I know I should have an Insight but we have decided to sell it. Obviously not soon enough lol.
This summer I performed the following:
EGR delete
New oil cooler
Updated hpop fitting
Updated turbo drain and supply
Blue fuel pressure spring
Banjo bolts

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. The cooling system would have to be flushed, and flushed and flushed and just when you think it is done, flush it three more times.
I have heard that simple green does a good job with those flushes as does a dishwashing machine detergent. Once you have finished all of those flushes, ALL of the rubber hoses that coolant runs through must be replaced. The rubber will absorb the oil and leach it out over time, and the oil will break down the rubber and they will eventually fail. That doesn't sound like much fun on a cold winter night in Alaska. Better to do it all now and be able to not worry about when they will let go.

#4 ·
Thanks dannyboy950 and NYC F-350. I am going to take your advice and flush everything over and over. The other problem was that my oil seems to have moisture in it again. But I suppose the oil system needs to be flushed as well. I am going to pick up some rotella and start from scratch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.