Trouble code P0299 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble code P0299

Today i was on my way to drop my truck off with the mechanic so he can diagnose the starting problem im having when the truck is cold. On the way there my engine light comes on and its a code P0299 ( Turbo Charger Underboost ). Its bad enough im probably going to have to buy a new FICM, but now this problem. Has anyone seen this code before and can someone shed some light on this for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is some info from the t-shooting guide in my sig.

Q: How do I know if my turbo is bad.

A: A turbocharger is a very simple device basically 2 windmills on one shaft. A lot of “ bad turbo’s” on 6.0’s are simply dirty and can be restored to proper working order in about 4 hours and a little elbow grease. The exception is if the bearings are bad or if it has more than about .004 in of end play or if you can move the shaft side to side enough to cause it to rub the housing. If you can spin it by hand and it seams to move freely then there is a good chance it’s fine. Most turbo problems are bad bearings , cracks in pressurized components like hoses, boots , intercooler , or excess carbon and soot.
From time to time a VGT solenoid will fail ,but this is pretty rare. One more thing is to inspect for damaged compressor blades. The major cause fo this is aftermarket air intakes. The best thing you can do to keep your turbo happy for a long time is keep it cool and lubed and clean. This means stick with the OEM air filter unless you need to make more than 500HP.

Q: Turbo charger spools up slowly

A: VGT solenoid bad or unplugged, Low boost due to leaking CAC boots or tubes, Exhaust Leak to turbo turbo vanes are coked up with rust and carbon.

Q: Turbo charger builds to much boost

A: vanes are coked up with rust and carbon, hot tune , stuck or faulty VGT solenoid.

Q: Low Boost levels

A: VGT solenoid bad or unplugged, Low boost due to leaking CAC boots or tubes, CAC tank cracked Exhaust Leak to turbo turbo vanes are coked up with rust and carbon.

Q: I heard a loud pop / bang and now I can't make boost or power and my truck blows black smoke , Did I blow up my engine??

A: No Worries, Due to a recent repair or oil contamination your CAC boot has blown off under load. Clean the tubes and boots with brake cleaner then spray with hair spray or spray adhesive then reassemble. The best way to prevent this and to keep your boots from rotting out is to reroute the crank case vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.