Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head studs and Batmowheel install

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cRaZy8 
#1 ·
Well finally did it. didnt need to but had the time and the will power to do the head studs. Not a bad job once the cab is off.

2 things that I never expected

first was the heads, I didnt expect with an engine that has 80000 miles on them to have the valve guides shot. and well since we are in there do hardend seats, 3 angle job, redo all the valves new guides, cleaning, magnaflux, deck the heads and pressure check. bill was 2100 bucks. ouch! but atleast I know I have a prefect set of heads now.

second was the cranking to get it started. on the 6th crank I was getting worried. figured I did something wrong when installing the SCT fitting. but finally after the 10th round of cranking she fired up and ran mint.

So all in all took one week start to finish most of the time was waiting for heads, but it gave me time to clean up all the parts.

this was the parts list installed on the truck

ARP studs with ford head gaskets
Batmowheel for 03 turbo
turbo drain tube
turbo oil feed tube
Blue fuel press spring
EGR delete
STC fitting
New Ford Oilcooler
SCT livewire with GH tunes, and EGT kit
Banks technicooler
standpipes and dummy plugs
Liberator long Y pipe
ELC coolent (preformed Full coolent flush before tear down)

Cowl Induction hood is just out for paint right now that will be going on too.

Lots of little things to remember when doing this job, I recommend for anyone wanting to do it on there own, go for it, but research everything and write it down. Did I have to do it, no not at all. but I feel now that I have peace of mind, and I know where I stand with this engine. As for driving it now, its like a new truck to me and money well spent. IMO

See less See more
#2 ·
what is the stc fitting ???

#3 ·
Stc- snap to connect. It's a fitting coming off the hpop. I assume he meant that he upgraded it. To the one piece

#4 ·
What puzzles me is that his signature says he has an 03, and the problematic STC fitting was not introduced until 2005 (on the new style high pressure oil pump).

The easiest way to cut down on crank times is to pour the first 4 quarts of oil through the oil filter housing (you are changing the oil at the same time, right?) There is a passage in the housing that would direct some of that oil down into the HPOP reservoir. Not having that reservoir filled is why it takes so long to fire.

#5 ·
06 engine

previous owner had the 03 engine in it and it threw a connecting rod, then I bought it and put a low milage 06 engine in the truck, then did all the mods.

#7 ·
How hard was the Batmowheel install? Is it as simple as removing the double nut on the shaft on the front side of the compressor wheel? Slide the stock off, slide the new one on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.