Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Delivery Issues

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2006PSDSD 
#1 ·
So today I decided to check the voltage on our FICM just to see what the deal was and if I could narrow down what is causing the truck to run like sh*t when the weather gets cold out. Also trying to figure out why our engine runs so cold and won't come up to operating temps when cold outside unless I run the piss out of it. Anyhow after I pulled the cover off of the FICM to get to the test ports I hooked up the volt meter I tested it and got 48.4v KOEO, 48.4V KOEC and as soon as it fired up I got a reading of 42-43v constant at idle. My first indication was that my FICM was bad causing the voltage to drop but then I heard that the voltage drop was due to bad injectors and the FICM is trying to overcompensate for the bad injectors. Any thoughts/ideas on if thats right or what else to look for? Thanks

#2 ·
You may be correct, but the way I heard it is that low ficm voltage can cause you to have injector problems if the ficm is not fixed. Just had mine replaced cause truck wouldn't start on 50 degree mornings unless plugged up for a couple of hours or so. When it did fire up it ran like crap untill it (ficm) was warm and all the connections were solid again.

#3 ·
I thought the same thing but the only way to get it to warm up at all when its below 65* f outside is to run the p*ss out of it. One more thing I read somewhere that if your FICM is operating at low voltages say around 30-40 like you stated that it can ruin your injectors not sure if that is true or not but maybe this is all stemming from a bad FICM causing the injectors to go bad. The last thing I want to do is spend thousands on just throwing parts at it never really knowing whats bad and what caused it to go bad. Thats why Im asking for your guys' help to maybe look somewhere I haven't thought or heard about.

#5 ·
I've heard, not tested, that the GP's will lower the KOEO voltage, until the GP relay drops out. Does it ever come back up after started?

#6 ·
Could just be injector stiction too. Do you have any DTC's?

#7 ·
Would stiction cause voltage to drop until warm? No DTCs on mine and running 15-40 till next week. FICM is at swamps as we speak. Hope I'm not wasting money. Voltage same as TUSCANY until cold weather came in. Saw 37 for a minute then slowly climes to 48.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.