Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 F250 Strange Question

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mt45408 
#1 ·
First, let me thank all of you fellers for all of the great posts I have read over the past year. Most every concern/question has been answered right here on this forum.
Now for my stats and question.....

I have a 2004 F250, 4" straight pipe, Bullydog Tripledog downloader (software is current), new turbo (oem), egr deleted, 140K miles, upgraded FICM.

When I get on it, NO SMOKE.... It used to blow lots of great black smoke, due to the tuner, while under heavy acceleration, now none. It quit shortly after the turbo replacement, and the egr delete. I had the FICM overhauled today because it threw the PO644 code. I have no other codes right now, other than the egr low flow code...

My concern is that the motor may be running too lean, however, I have tons of power, no hesitations, up or down. No skips, stalls, nothing. Starts very easy, every time, without fail.

Any input is welcome.....:dunno:

#3 ·
Why in the hell would you change from the correct fuel filter that will properly protect your injectors from water back to some A/M junk that will let water through????? :dunno: If your primary fuel filter doesn't have the white aquabloc membrane you're taking a serious risk of letting water into your injectors.

The only REAL way to check your fuel "flow" is to install a fuel pressure gauge. You should have a MINIMUM of 45 psi at WOT. Lack of smoke may simply mean that the turbo is getting the proper boost for proper fuel burn and that your other turbo simply wasn't functioning properly. If the performance is good, as you indicate, lack of smoke is actually a good thing IMHO.

P0644 isn't in the 6.0L DTC file, but AE says it's for "Sensor reference voltage A circuit" intermittent. Did you mean P0611?

#4 ·
The Motorcraft is the OEM filter, not cheap A/M. It does has the aquabloc membrane.
You are correct, it was the PO611 code...

Also, I forgot one mod, the S&B Cool air intake, and I run PS diesel additive every month....

I am putting WIX back in today... will advise

#10 · (Edited)
I realize that you are runnning the Motorcraft now, which is a great thing for your truck and injectors. I'm advising you to NOT put the Wix ("cheap" A/M) in since it doesn't have the aquabloc membrane. Why would you do that? To get more fuel? Not gonna happen. Chances ARE that you will do nothing but cause yourself "more" problems that you may not have now.

#5 ·
That's what he meant when he said that. You put the correct one in there the motorcraft one that is not the wix one. It seems to me your truck is running efficiently now from what you described black smoke is not efficient.

#6 ·
just throwing this out there but isnt a lot of power and no black smoke an ideal thing?i mean you say the truck runs great, and there are no codes other then the one from the egr being deleted. correct if im wrong but it seems like your truck is in tip top shape IMO

#8 ·
It's running good. With no smoke. But the fact that it droped. I would install a fuel pressure guage

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.