Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo screech

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Wicked6.0 
#1 ·
Ok so last Monday morning my 06' F350 started this strange whistling noise coming from the turbo. Initialllly it did it at idle and lower rpms but now seems to do it when on the throttle under constant load, light accelleration and intermittent while cruising. Under heavy acceleration it seems to fade a bit but as soon as i ease off the throttle slightly it is back. The truck has 117,00miles and an egr delete kit installed about 30k ago. I also run an edge programmer usally on level 2. It is quite noticeable outside the truck as well, all my employees have asked what is going on.

The truck seems to run fine for the most part and seems to make normal boost. I did notice prior to the noise the truck seemed to have a slight hesitation under normal acceleration.

Not sure where to start here. Sounds expensive though.

#3 ·
HAM is right. Don't worry too much, turbo replacement is a shadetree job, not bad at all.

#5 ·
Anyone? Anyone?

Ok, truck sounds like a tea kettle. It does it at all rpms and also sounds like there is some type of restriction in the exhaust, not much of a diesel tech as you may well know. The truck runs ok for the most part, not quite what it should thought. Could this be a VGT solenoid issue?

#6 ·
Did you check the turbo? If so I would also check the up pipes around the flex joints to make sure they are not leaking one way to tell is if there is soot around the area. Also check the thread up pipes or turbo a couple posts down and watch the video and see if your sound sounds like his. He's not sure yet on what it is but could be the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.